Slack in the Gas Pedal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Slack in the Gas Pedal

If I place my foot under the gas pedal I can lift it a couple inches. Is this normal for the 99-2004 Mustangs?

I have yet to run wide open throttle, but if I decided to do so I would like to run with the throttle body open all the way instead of 3/4 throttle.



Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
Yes that's normal and what do you mean you haven't went wot come on revv just do it

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Yes that's normal and what do you mean you haven't went wot come on revv just do it

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
It's a 14 year old engine, and at the moment my only form of transportation. I have not pushed the car past about 4200rpm. I am babying this car to keep it alive as long as possible.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-02-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
It's a 14 year old engine, and at the moment my only form of transportation. I have not pushed the car past about 4200rpm. I am babying this car to keep it alive as long as possible.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Lol there's not a day I go wot or red line at least once 4200 another 2000 rpm isn't going to hurt it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
With my luck lately parts would detonate.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
Lol gotta be positive

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Lol gotta be positive

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm positive that I have had more bad than good happen in the past few weeks. Lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
Well let me ask how does she run any issues with her does she purr and if so well then let her roar! In all honesty these cars were meant to driven hard not abused but driven

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Well let me ask how does she run any issues with her does she purr and if so well then let her roar! In all honesty these cars were meant to driven hard not abused but driven

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The engine runs flawless. I have a whine in the transmission I can't find, but the engine it beautiful.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
The engine runs flawless. I have a whine in the transmission I can't find, but the engine it beautiful.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Mine does sort of too don't be afraid to get on it it will help clear the engine out

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Mine does sort of too don't be afraid to get on it it will help clear the engine out

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
...and empty the gas tank.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Mine does sort of too don't be afraid to get on it it will help clear the engine out

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Incoming thread posted by Revvv, titled: "Intake Manifold Blew at Red line. Please HELP!!!"
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Incoming thread posted by Revvv, titled: "Intake Manifold Blew at Red line. Please HELP!!!"
Nooooooooooo!
I'm not abusing the car. Now, if I blow the intake manifold off I know how to handle that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Torino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lauderhill
Region: Florida
Posts: 109
Jeno he is concerned that a few engine parts will get cleaned out! 😂 Revvv I see your point but you have more restraint than most of us!!! Hopefully your luck changes soon!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Jeno he is concerned that a few engine parts will get cleaned out! 😂 Revvv I see your point but you have more restraint than most of us!!! Hopefully your luck changes soon!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thank you Torino. Things will get better or I will move to PA and beg for a job at American Muscle

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
If I was not running the stock exhaust my restraint would be tested. I have to admit, I love the sound of a 2v Mustang. Right now the growl comes from a slow cruise with the top down.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
If your car is stock it can handle just below the red line just fine. It's the red line where the owners manual says you may cause damage. Either way once it's warmed up, make sure you don't give it wot until your above 3k rpm if you wanna be safe, and then let loose to heat everything up and blow out any carbon deposits. How many miles on the engine btw?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
Oh and to answer your question, the trick is to grab some rubber hose and small zip ties, and wrap the hose around the cable at the gas pedal to take up the slack, so that the pedal sits a bit higher. After that, maybe don't WOT too hard since your tugging on the cable and not hitting the floor first.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
If your car is stock it can handle just below the red line just fine. It's the red line where the owners manual says you may cause damage. Either way once it's warmed up, make sure you don't give it wot until your above 3k rpm if you wanna be safe, and then let loose to heat everything up and blow out any carbon deposits. How many miles on the engine btw?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
It is about to turn over 151000.

I know for certain that too end has all new gaskets, and that the timing chain, guides, etc are new. I have the receipt from the previous owner. The engine decided to make a little noise while he was out of town and paid to have the entire timing system replaced and the top end looked at about two year ago.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Oh and to answer your question, the trick is to grab some rubber hose and small zip ties, and wrap the hose around the cable at the gas pedal to take up the slack, so that the pedal sits a bit higher. After that, maybe don't WOT too hard since your tugging on the cable and not hitting the floor first.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
If I pull any length out of the cable it will be done at the throttle body. I can put on a new ball end just as easy, if not easier than putting hose behind the pedal.

I really wanted to make sure the extra wiggle room was normal. My boot rests perfectly at the moment.



Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle slack LuvStangs Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 74 05-23-2013 11:33 AM
fixing the throttle cable slack? Crowned1 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 6 05-21-2013 10:26 PM
Cultch pedal slack Matney10 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 18 02-02-2012 12:41 PM
Taking Up Slack In Accelerator Pedal OsirisGuy Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 20 10-23-2007 06:43 PM
Anyone here every slack lined before? fast64 The Bar 15 12-29-2005 06:59 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:03 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.