Mile High Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Mile High Mustang

I made a mistake. I pulled into the local Ford dealership with a hundred other Mustangs while parking to go watch fireworks for the 4th of July.

I admired all of the different cars, and then it happened......


.....I had to walk past my own Mustang and noticed just how high that 2002 GT convertible sits. It even appears as if the rear sits a bit lower than the front. I will admit, the top was down, the gas tank was full, and I had lawn chairs in the trunk.

When walking back to get in my car I passed by several generations of Mustangs, and again I admired the automtive icon. Then I saw my car staring at me again.

Desperation almost kicked in. I watched a few videos, and looked at hundreds of photos with the thought going though my mind to CUT the springs.

Even as I type this I am having a hard time resisting the temptation of hacking off a coil just to see if I can drop the ol Mustang about an 1 1/2 inches.

If I had a spare set of factory springs I would cut them without a second thought just to see what the end result might be.



My rant is over. I will eventually lower the car using proper springs, but at the moment things will remain the same. Being broke sucks!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
I would just leave the car stock until you can turn it into a weekend toy, and are not dependent on it as your daily driver.

If you lived on the west coast, I would make you a great deal on these Tokico springs that I've had laying around for years now.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467730456051.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	203146  
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I would just leave the car stock until you can turn it into a weekend toy, and are not dependent on it as your daily driver.

If you lived on the west coast, I would make you a great deal on these Tokico springs that I've had laying around for years now.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That's just wrong. A horrible tease. Lol

I wonder what shipping would be? Hmmmm?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Torino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lauderhill
Region: Florida
Posts: 109
Are there any junk yards in your area? You should be able to get cheap springs from them to experiment with!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I would just leave the car stock until you can turn it into a weekend toy, and are not dependent on it as your daily driver.

If you lived on the west coast, I would make you a great deal on these Tokico springs that I've had laying around for years now.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
If these are the springs I think they are, they will not work on a convertible. I assume the extra 140lbs for the top sinks the rear more than intended.

As tempting as it is, I will not cut my springs. If I find a spare set of springs they will be chopped and tested though.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Are there any junk yards in your area? You should be able to get cheap springs from them to experiment with!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
There are a few, but most of the SN95 (especially the New Edge) cars have been picked clean. Those not picked clean have been mangled to a point of being unrecognizable.

I began scouring salvage yards the day after I picked up my car just to have spare parts.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Here is the part # for the kit that the springs came in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467742699935.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	203149  
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Here is the part # for the kit that the springs came in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Awesome

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
There are a few, but most of the SN95 (especially the New Edge) cars have been picked clean. Those not picked clean have been mangled to a point of being unrecognizable.

I began scouring salvage yards the day after I picked up my car just to have spare parts.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
You really need to search Craigslist for people who are parting out Mustangs. The GT's rarely make it into salvage yards as complete cars. That's where I find most of my stuff. Even that spring/strut/shock kit was a Craigslist find.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You really need to search Craigslist for people who are parting out Mustangs. The GT's rarely make it into salvage yards as complete cars. That's where I find most of my stuff. Even that spring/strut/shock kit was a Craigslist find.
If I can find the weight, and get info on whether or not your springs will work on my convertible, I may jump on that set. I just need to pinch few pennies and turn them into dollars.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
OK Bullit, throw the springs on your bathroom scale and PM me the weight. I can't seem to locate that info anywhere.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
I don't have a bathroom scale. And my beam scale is buried at the moment, but I will try to get them weighed in the next couple of days.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I don't have a bathroom scale. And my beam scale is buried at the moment, but I will try to get them weighed in the next couple of days.
No hurry. My guess would be 15lbs.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
They weigh almost 40 pounds.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
They weigh almost 40 pounds.
My guess was a joke. I would assume the springs weight at least 8 -10lbs each. It's possible they weigh a bit more.

40lbs is enough for an estimate on shipping from the left coast to the South East.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Ill give you my stock ones with 76k miles if you want them. Just pay the shipping, and Ill send them to you if you want them? Just sitting in my garage now, appear to be in good shape. I can ship the springs and then just send me a check for the shipping or use paypal. Mine is not a vert either so may pose an issue rate wise too. Strays offer is better but if you need some additonal ones let me know.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Ill give you my stock ones with 76k miles if you want them. Just pay the shipping, and Ill send them to you if you want them? Just sitting in my garage now, appear to be in good shape. I can ship the springs and then just send me a check for the shipping or use paypal. Mine is not a vert either so may pose an issue rate wise too. Strays offer is better but if you need some additonal ones let me know.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm trying to send you a PM, but for some reason I cannot get my messenger to work with TapATalk.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I'm trying to send you a PM, but for some reason I cannot get my messenger to work with TapATalk.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
I cant message thru ME either says my message limit or storage is full? Dont get it? I barely have any messages on there! This app needs a serious overhaul. If you want just email me...
Saconklin1979@hotmail.com

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:14 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
I cant message thru ME either says my message limit or storage is full? Dont get it? I barely have any messages on there! This app needs a serious overhaul. If you want just email me...
Saconklin1979@hotmail.com

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
This app needs to take a step back from its last update.

I am out playing guitar at the moment (a musician has to work), but I will shoot you an email a bit later or sometime tomorrow.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
This app needs to take a step back from its last update.

I am out playing guitar at the moment (a musician has to work), but I will shoot you an email a bit later or sometime tomorrow.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Ok cool.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
I cant message thru ME either says my message limit or storage is full? Dont get it? I barely have any messages on there! This app needs a serious overhaul. If you want just email me...
Saconklin1979@hotmail.com

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Are your messages sent to? Sent and received messages both count towards filling your storage.


Revvv every time I see this thread I keep thinking it's directed towards me
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Are your messages sent to? Sent and received messages both count towards filling your storage.


Revvv every time I see this thread I keep thinking it's directed towards me
Every time I see your screen name this thread comes to mind. It is amusing to some degree.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mile High JDF's dark side build thread Mile high JDF General Car Discussion 305 11-21-2017 01:32 PM
1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times Jvibe92 2011-2014 Mustang GT 4 05-04-2015 10:12 PM
Mile High? Sexylil66 The Bar 35 10-18-2006 01:54 PM
Powdercoated Blown03/Mile High Dyno Ice Box - Pics !!! xtremejc 1996-2004 Mustang GT 18 11-12-2005 12:21 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:31 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.