New 2004 GT add on's truth - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
New 2004 GT add on's truth

I just drove it home today, 80 miles with the top down! I love this car. I got my American Muscle catalog in the mail and have a couple questions for the experienced add on owners. I am a newbie to performance cars and don't want to waste a cent.

BBK Open Throttle 78mm "helps" to give 12-15hp. True/worth $289? I'd like more throttle response especially with more hp/tq.

I see pulleys, cat back exhaust, tunes claiming the same thing. What's the best bargain for a few hp? Do they all need to work in conjunction to get the claimed gains or do they stand alone?

I plan on driving it as is until I park it for the winter. Next spring is when I might add some mods. Thanks for any advice.
ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I'd pass on the BBK and pulleys
And get
4.10 gears
And a tune
And your choice of a good sounding exhaust . Stock headers are fine!

And then
Subframe connectors
Springs
Shocks
Struts
Caster camber plates
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
I'd pass on the BBK and pulleys
And get
4.10 gears
And a tune
And your choice of a good sounding exhaust . Stock headers are fine!

And then
Subframe connectors
Springs
Shocks
Struts
Caster camber plates
This is a great list for the new edge. Yes additional mods can be done, but the diminishing returns cause your bang for your buck to go done the toilet. This list will go a long way to making the new edge a much quicker, still not fast, and much more enjoyable car to drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
-Mid pipe and catback
-4.10 gears
-Tune
-Suspension

Everything else is either a very minimal gain (like 1 or 2hp) or flat out lying.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Today I noticed a lot of flex on some of our rougher roads. I have the convertible and think a tower strut may be the first mod I do.

Mine is mainly a 6 month daily driver at cruising speeds mostly 55mph highways.
ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Subrames will be way better for a first mod. Get the Steedas.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
I added the 78mm BBK throttle body/Plenum and my throttle response is noticeably different for the better, engine definitely runs smoother... IMO anyway...
SolarFlarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ive switched between stock and bbk 78mm tb a couple times before, and what i noticed felt like more getting to the intake quicker with the 78mm. nothing major, but you can feel less restriction. I've only had the C&L plenum on this car though, havent tried it with the stock plenum, even though i have one put away. Good tires and suspension parts help with the ride. I recently switched to better tires, as opposed to cheapest offered at tire kingdom, and put on some steeda lower control arms, and it feels much nicer. still gotta put on the upper control arms, buy the springs, and eventually sub frame connectors.

I dont know what the camber plates do for a street car, other than allow you to adjust the camber and castor more than the stock plates. I can see that being helpful in sport or racing applications, but i got them because a tech told me that they couldnt get my camber up to the original stock position, and suggested camber plates. my last tires (and the previous owners tires before these last ones,) were worn down heavily in the inner corner of the tire. I was wondering why it was turning corners pretty good though.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Exactly, I think the BBK throttle body helps but nothing spectacular but it's still better than the stock. GL with your car
SolarFlarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If ur gonna do TB, do the plenum too, otherwise wait til u can do both. Most all ur gains will be accomplished strictly with a tune and suspension

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I've got my exhaust done from the headers, and a tune. Revvv has gears and a tune. There is a pretty big difference in the seat of the pants feel between ours. Which leads me to believe a good free flowing exhaust makes the biggest difference of the basic bolt ons. Now when he gets his exhaust done it should stand that the tables should turn and he should be able to pull on me easy with the top 3 combo of gears, tune, exhaust, at least until my 4.10's - 4.30's go in.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I've got my exhaust done from the headers, and a tune. Revvv has gears and a tune. There is a pretty big difference in the seat of the pants feel between ours. Which leads me to believe a good free flowing exhaust makes the biggest difference of the basic bolt ons. Now when he gets his exhaust done it should stand that the tables should turn and he should be able to pull on me easy with the top 3 combo of gears, tune, exhaust, at least until my 4.10's - 4.30's go in.

Your car is a lot stronger than mine is. The exhaust makes a huge difference. 3.73 gears, a drop in K&N, plus a tune leaves a lot to be desired.

Go for the exhaust and a tune first. After that you will see small gains.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Plan your build first!.. Start with what do you want to do with your car!.. For example, do you plan on building an all out "race car"?.. Or is it more of a cruiser?.. If it's the later, I would do a Tuner first, then mid pipe, then gears!.. And go with front and rear Strut Tower bars, just to start with!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Ive switched between stock and bbk 78mm tb a couple times before, and what i noticed felt like more getting to the intake quicker with the 78mm. nothing major, but you can feel less restriction. I've only had the C&L plenum on this car though, havent tried it with the stock plenum, even though i have one put away. Good tires and suspension parts help with the ride. I recently switched to better tires, as opposed to cheapest offered at tire kingdom, and put on some steeda lower control arms, and it feels much nicer. still gotta put on the upper control arms, buy the springs, and eventually sub frame connectors.

I dont know what the camber plates do for a street car, other than allow you to adjust the camber and castor more than the stock plates. I can see that being helpful in sport or racing applications, but i got them because a tech told me that they couldnt get my camber up to the original stock position, and suggested camber plates. my last tires (and the previous owners tires before these last ones,) were worn down heavily in the inner corner of the tire. I was wondering why it was turning corners pretty good though.

CC Plates are usually only needed on these cars if they are lowered!.. If you have a otherwise stock suspension, I would keep an eye out for other possible problems!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Headers are getting installed today (Pacesetter)...I installed the BBK Throttle Intake, BBK MAF and BBK Black Series CAI and a 180° thermostat a few days ago and I already have the Magnaflow Cat Back system on my car...so I will have my SCT Tuner installed this week so I will be able to drop some dyno numbers this week. So I will tell you guys what I gained with the mods and what the tuner added. Looking into the 3.90 gears soon but will wait until I see the new numbers and what my car feels like. Stay tuned...no pun intended! 😂

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
IMO, if you won't be installing a set of headers yourself, I don't believe I'd bother with it. Shops charge a ton to put them in. If they aren't done right, they'll leak and cause you problems. Also, many shops won't warranty aftermarket parts installation unless it's a shop where you can buy the parts through them. I'd talk to the shop you choose before getting that installed. If you don't have to have your car tested for emissions in the state you live in, get an off road H or X pipe and your favorite sounding catback and you'll love it. You can install that yourself (or with a friend) as it all just bolts right in. Worst case is that you will need to borrow a sawzall to cut the factory catback out, but the new setup will bolt in easily.

^That is a must mod for a Mustang lol. As far as everything else, you want to try and figure out what all you think you'll want to do with your car, like others have mentioned. Corner carver for auto X? Drag strip visits for fun? Or, a bit of both..? Since it's a vert, I'm sure you don't have plans to make it your "race car" lol. If you daily drive your Mustang, consider your roads in your area before lowering it and/or getting high performance springs. Your ride will get stiffer no mater what, but how stiff and how low is something to really consider. No matter what route you go, you will need new shocks and struts and CC plates to make sure you can get it aligned properly so your tires wear properly. All that can cost quite a bit, just for lowering your car properly.
As far as gears go, it will give you the best bang for you buck lol. Gears alone can do wonders for how your Mustang will perform. Things to consider are if you daily it or if you frequently travel longer distances. In general 3.73's or 4.10's are a great choice. 3.55's if you do longer distance traveling. IMO, to make it worth the cost, you want to change gears by at least two sizes.
If you think you are likely to do gears, get your tuner when you do your exhaust AND put in an off road midpipe. That way you can disable the rear 02 sensors with the tuner. Otherwise, I would wait and get a tuner when you go to change your gears. One reason is to be able to adjust your speedometer for your gears. The other reason to have one is for if you decide to change do bigger wheels. You be able to adjust the speedometer for your wheels/tires configuration with the tuner.
I'm still having trouble finding a good place to get a set of subframe connectors installed on my Mach. Fortunately, the Mach's came with cheapy ones and at least it's better than nothing lol. Seems like a muffler shop would do this, but I've talked to two and they said they've never tried it or won't do it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT