Mustang Evolution Forum banner

P1445 Code after getting backed into. Please help!

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Neuron 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

So early this year, my 98 GT got backed into and took damage to the passanger side rear quarter panel. The Silverado that hit me left a hefty dent and basically hit my car right where the gas cap and gas filler is. I've attached some images of the damage.

Since the accident, I have had a consistent check engine light reading the P1445 code. I tried replacing the purge flow sensor and that did not do anything. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this code?

Also, since the accident my car has smelled of unburnt fuel inside the passanger compartment. Not sure if this could be related to the issue.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Haha I don't smoke - never was a fan of throwing away my money and health.

But in all seriousness that sounds bad. I looked at the fill tubes last night and didn't see anything wrong with them but i guess its hard to tell from just looking at them.

Another thing I have noticed, it seems as though the rollover valve in the filler tube does not close all the way anymore either. I'm talking about the small sheet metal valve that is pushed open by the gas filler nozzle. Could this be causing the issue?

#6 · (Edited)
The other driver's insurance cut me a check for the damage. The car seemed to run okay and not have any issues besides the body damage so I used the money to buy a motorcycle.

Might sound irresponsible, but I can fix the body damage and mechanical issues myself for a helluva lot less than a body shop would charge.

Replacing the filler neck appears to be the next step which is less than a day job for me.

dan,

that is one possibility.
I'll have to look into it more. I did notice that the fuel scent is 100% for sure originating from the filler neck area in the trunk. I just didn't think an issue in the filler neck would throw an OBD code.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about your car. Understand that your fuel system is sealed and that any breakage or even a crack will cause it to produce a code. Possibly a crack or separations in the neck area that is no longer making a seal in the evap system. I would inspect everything behind the fender from the filler neck all the way down to the tank. Good luck.

#10 ·
Apologies for reviving a dead thread. I just wanted to give an update with what I found wrong with the car as I forgot to update it last year.

The filler neck was cracked and fairly rusted. Replaced the filler neck, as well as the filler neck seal and the code went away, along with the fuel smell. Thanks to everyone on here for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.