P1445 Code after getting backed into. Please help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
P1445 Code after getting backed into. Please help!

Hey everyone,

So early this year, my 98 GT got backed into and took damage to the passanger side rear quarter panel. The Silverado that hit me left a hefty dent and basically hit my car right where the gas cap and gas filler is. I've attached some images of the damage.

Since the accident, I have had a consistent check engine light reading the P1445 code. I tried replacing the purge flow sensor and that did not do anything. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this code?

Also, since the accident my car has smelled of unburnt fuel inside the passanger compartment. Not sure if this could be related to the issue.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468846043066.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	203495   Click image for larger version

Name:	1468846062280.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	203496  

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Danger!!!!

there is damage to the fill tube or recover lines. You need to get this looked at!

If you smoke now is a good time to quit.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Haha I don't smoke - never was a fan of throwing away my money and health.

But in all seriousness that sounds bad. I looked at the fill tubes last night and didn't see anything wrong with them but i guess its hard to tell from just looking at them.

Another thing I have noticed, it seems as though the rollover valve in the filler tube does not close all the way anymore either. I'm talking about the small sheet metal valve that is pushed open by the gas filler nozzle. Could this be causing the issue?

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My question; why didn't the other driver's insurance repair the damage, and why isn't this car in the shop?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
dan,

that is one possibility.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
My question; why didn't the other driver's insurance repair the damage, and why isn't this car in the shop?

The other driver's insurance cut me a check for the damage. The car seemed to run okay and not have any issues besides the body damage so I used the money to buy a motorcycle.

Might sound irresponsible, but I can fix the body damage and mechanical issues myself for a helluva lot less than a body shop would charge.

Replacing the filler neck appears to be the next step which is less than a day job for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
dan,

that is one possibility.
I'll have to look into it more. I did notice that the fuel scent is 100% for sure originating from the filler neck area in the trunk. I just didn't think an issue in the filler neck would throw an OBD code.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to hear about your car. Understand that your fuel system is sealed and that any breakage or even a crack will cause it to produce a code. Possibly a crack or separations in the neck area that is no longer making a seal in the evap system. I would inspect everything behind the fender from the filler neck all the way down to the tank. Good luck.
tonyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjuan View Post
Sorry to hear about your car. Understand that your fuel system is sealed and that any breakage or even a crack will cause it to produce a code. Possibly a crack or separations in the neck area that is no longer making a seal in the evap system. I would inspect everything behind the fender from the filler neck all the way down to the tank. Good luck.
This is likely the best answer.

Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjuan View Post
Thanks, that's good advice. I will update this thread when I find something/replace the fuel neck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT