Building a motor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Kansas
Building a motor

I know i can buy books and watch videos
But realistically should a beginner stay away from this or could this be a realistic project?
Would like to build my own motor over the winter.
Anyone have success ?

Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
When you say beginner do you have any experience at all? There will be quite a bit of money involved in doing this and if not done correctly you will have major issues. Do you have someone you can go to for advice and help if needed? If not I would not suggest it as a 1st time project.

Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: California
Everyone has to start with their first engine. It really isn't that hard. You just need to have some patience, take your time, and double or triple check all of your work each step of the way. I recommend purchasing a good book on rebuilding modular engines before you decide if this is a project that you want to take on. That will give you a better understanding of the process and will help you to determine if you have the necessary tools, skill set, desire, etc, to do the job correctly.
I built an engine for my truck 20 years ago. 400k+ miles later, and it still runs pretty strong!
There is a great deal of satisfaction when you turn the key, and and hear the engine that you assembled yourself, fire up and run... But there can also be a fair amount of frustration if the rebuild is done incorrectly.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Arkansas
My neighbor built his motor in his garage. If you are the type that can look at things and understand fully how to take it apart and put it back together and learn a couple new things on the way keep up with everything, follow correct bolting procedures and all recommended torque on every bolt, and have a lot of patience, possibly go to the store everyday for special tools, including a cherry picker.. Then try it. Took him about a month to pull it out and take it apart and rebuilding it then putting it back in with my help on late nights. Both have full time jobs.

2004 Mustang Gt
5 speed manual
Full bolt ons
Built moser rearend
395rwhp 500rwtq
2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed
Full Bolt Ons
370rwhp 470rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Kansas
I can't see it being overly difficult with instructions
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Region: Kentucky
The bottom end is super simple just go slow and have someone assist when attaching the rods to the crank, just makes it easier. If the block is fully cleaned and degreased everything just snaps into place. Top end is daunting your first time but as long as you are dealing with new parts they have marks and instructions that all line up that make it doable as long as you go slow and methodical. Especially with the valve spring install. Thats it. After that nothing will scare you... Buy a sct pro racer kit like i did and teach yourself to tune ford engines and you have everythung covered.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
03 GT 13.4 @ 117MPH best 2v 4.6 w/ auto
Check out my Garage info for what I am installing at this moment~
retiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Region: Michigan
Im pondering doing this too. Got a basically free 4.6 short block out of an 02 GT, it needs to be cleaned and honed, if I decide to go through with it I may have it bored as well. Im just kicking it around now. I figure if I do it and it takes me a couple years that is fine as I source the parts and look for good deals on things. But I am itching to PI swap my 96 with the complete heads I have and trying to decide if its worth it to upgrade the cams? Like the OP not sure what to do with it at this point, it could be a great way to expand my knowledge and be very satisfying as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Region: Missouri
I would do it if I was you. I was in the same boat when I was thinking about building my first engine. Do your research, take your time and double check everything. There's several knowledgeable guys on here if you ever get in a bind.

Shane Bales is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT