Erratic shifting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Erratic shifting

So I've finally gotten over a year of misfiring and contemplation of a motor swap to find out I could've fixed my issue by simply replacing all the coil on plugs.. I did and it runs great.. That's after a battery, alternator, four 02 sensors, egr valve Dpfe sensor, fuel pump and filter, injector cleaning (used a battery syringe and brake cleaner) new intake manifold, ect sensor, cam/crank position sensor... I just didn't think it was a cop. It was
So now I'm driving it around and it has a shift kit and a rebuilt trans. So I often use the o/d off button to downshift .. And I noticed once I got through 3rd gear and hit the button to let it shift up to o/d.. It never did. Once I hit a stop sign and it started back off in 1st it ran through the gears all the way into o/d like it should.. But then randomly at abt 60 it dropped out of o/d without any whatsoever change to throttle position .. And I think it went all the way to 2nd because it revved hard but just for a split second before it settled right back in o/d... When I was coming to a stop to pull in my driveway it jumped back and forth a little
Then when I drove it again an hour later it was fine! When I first got the car I pointlessly replaced the 3 solenoids .. That's when I learned it was rebuilt. And I think they may have been from ebay.. I'm hoping I can find the ones I took out.. :-/
Any input ?? Oh and the fluid looks brand new
Chrishart749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Switched all three solenoids in the transmission back to old ones which are labeled ford and the new ones were not
All is well
Old 08-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Every good transmission technician that I have ever spoke with has always insisted on using factory replacement parts, as far as the electronics go.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 01:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Is it difficult to change the solenoids? I am getting late shift 2 to 3 code on my 2000 gt auto.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

its not too bad
drop the pan and you can see all 3 of them.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Okay guys.. I was wrong and am hoping someone knows a little more abt this whole thing. After a few times driving the car since replacing the solenoids.. Last night it gave me problems again. What happened: I pulled off from a stop sign and it didn't want to shift from 3rd into overdrive. It didn't just rev freely like a miss.. No instead it just hung in third. It stayed there a bit and then finally caught o/d abt thirty seconds late! And then momentarily later when it just dropped overdrive like a bad habit .. Motor revs like it would with a downshift etc.. So I just let off and everything seemed fine from there on. I was only a couple minutes from home. No lights no codes no flashing o/d fluid level is correct color is good doesn't smell burnt. Fluid is new.
So I know ..(not from personal experience) the trans can be electronically affected by numerous sensors
The mlps aka trans range sensor aka neautral safety switch..
The vehicle speed sensor
Throttle position sensor
Mass air flow sensor
And then all the shift solenoids but .. Those are likely not the cause because the symtpoms still exist from one set of said solenoids to the other.
Any input would be awesome
Does this sound like internals ****tin out on me? Or a dumb sensor?
I could just buy all above mentioned parts and change them but I felt compelled to ask questions first.
Also thought it would be worth mentioning that otherwise every shift is firm snappy extremely clean and satisfying.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT