Mustang Evolution Forum banner

gear ratio swap? are you happy?

3K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  Vinnie02 
#1 ·
what gears have you put in and are you happy with them? or what ratio do you wish you went to?

#8 ·
3.73 s and 2500rmp going 70mph

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#12 ·
Stock is 3.27 on a new edge.

OP what are your goals for the car? Auto or manual? Everybody is always concerned about top end but how often are you really driving 100+ mph? If I were to change gears in a bolt on new edge GT I would probably go 3.73s at the most personally.

#14 ·
Alright so haven't decided yet. 3.27s would be better for a turbo. 4.102 or 3.73s would be better for autocross, some off the other guy's may be able to have more input on those, ultimately the track length and style will decide what's best. I was crossing the traps at 5,500rpm in my old GT with stock rear tires, a T45, and 4.10s.

In all honesty gears aren't gonna give you the same feeling a legit torquey motor so it just comes down to what sort of mph you're looking for out of each gear.

#17 ·
I test drove numerous New Edge Mustang GTs with an assortment of gearings. For my driving habits the stock gearing did just fine.

I can tell you that there is a noticeable difference in 4.10s and stock. My car has 3.73s. 1st gear is shorter than I prefer, and freeway RPM is higher than I like. My car is babied though. It rarely sees 3000rpm.

I have only broken the worn out Potenza tires loose about 3 times. The road was wet every time (the tires stick like glue to the road).

Is a gear ratio swap worth the cost? I can honestly think of better things to put money into. This is my opinion though.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I just put 4.10s in my 2002 gt...and man oh man is she woken up. Love love them, I would do it again. I do not drive on the highway much, but at about 70mph I am at about 26 or 2700 rims. They are a blast!!!!

2002 Mustang GT, Trick Flow plenum and TB, BBK catted x, Flowmaster super 10's, eibach lowering springs, 4.10s

#20 ·
Probably right around 3200. If you do a lot of highway driving 3.73s would probably suit you better. But light to light and around town 4.10s definitely. My car is a fair weather driver and to car shows.

2002 Mustang GT, Trick Flow plenum and TB, BBK catted x, Flowmaster super 10's, eibach lowering springs, 4.10s

#24 ·
I like to take my car to Reno Nevada sometimes to gamble so its about 3 1/2 to 4 hours on the highway so I drive about 75-80

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#25 ·
Good info in this thread. I've always read 4.10 for auto, 3.73 for manual for a daily driven vehicle. 4.10 in a manual, you would be shifting a bunch. I'm mulling around with the idea of 3.73 on my 03 GT 5 -speed, but I wonder if going from stock 3.27 to 3.73 would really make a difference compared to the cost involved with swapping.

Only thing I can't stand currently is the car falls flat on its face on the shift from 4th to 5th. Seems like it's missing a gear..

#26 ·
There is a HUGE gear ratio gap in our TR3650 transmissions between 4th and 5th. With the 3.73s my car sounds relieved to hit 5th gear.

If you and I were closer I would let you take my car out for a drive.

If you liked the gearing I would be willing to swap rear axle assemblies. That would put me back to factory specs.

I don't plan on giving up my MGW shifter though. I love that thing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

#32 ·
install

I had my local ford dealer do the install to preserve my factory warranty. about $500, a couple speed shops around charge about 300 , but I would have needed a programmer to adjust speedo and would have warranty worries.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

those costs are labor only, does not include the gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.