Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Shut off after rev

5K views 62 replies 8 participants last post by  Revvv 
#1 ·
So, it's been a few weeks since i last driven my 02. I drove it on my birthday and took it to work (62 mile drive) and the car drove fine to work. A couple of my friends took me out to eat, the problem started. I drove no more than 15 miles to the spot. It drove fine all the way until i turned on the ac for awhile, then turned it off because there were too many cops (i have limo tint) and drove normally. Once i hit the first stop light, the car shut off which was weird. I drove it some more and it did the same thing. We got the spot and stood there for a couple hours. I thought if i let it cool down some, it will be fine. Once i got back into the car, it drove fine. I got on the freeway, and it shut back off! Fortunately there was a lot of traffic (LA) and the whole way it kept doing that. I noticed it kept doing it once i stopped.

After that day, i did not drive the car anymore until about an hour ago. I turned it on, it started fine. I revved up to about 2.5k and it shut off immediately. I then decided to clean out the MAF and throttle body. I turned it back on and revved it again and it didn't shut off. I thought i had fixed the problem. I drove the car around the small street and it drove fine. I took it to the big street and on the first stop, it shut off again! Once i got it to start back up i drove it quickly back home and never turned off after that. What can be the issue?

I also noticed that there is a tick that just started on the left side. Could it be an exhaust leak? I have UPR Xpipe on it. I did replace the gasket once i first installed it.

Any help, i would greatly appreciate it. I want to have it ready for this weekend. We are having a meet and i have been missing out for quite some time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

See less See more
#5 ·
I did check the battery as a matter of fact last night. I made sure there was no corrosion or loose and everything checks out fine.

When the car shuts off, it starts right back up but i have to rev it for a sec or else it'll shut off again. Once i rev it enough, I immediately shift it to drive. I'm not sure how bad that is on the transmission. But i'll check the ground tonight.

#7 ·
I cleaned it out yesterday with the MAF cleaner. Could it be that I might need to replace it?

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

What about the ticking noise? Do you think that might have something to do with it? There is no CEL on or anything.

#11 ·
First off, do you have an OBD 2 reader ( reader that you plug into the port underneath drivers side dash? I would plug it in and get a read and If it is the MAF it will definitely register as a trouble code. I would start there above all, that's what a garage would do,well unless it is a cracked intake but I don't think that is the problem... If you don't have one take it to autozone or advanced. It's a start, let me know how you make out. I think it's something minor, no worries and good luck !

#10 ·
wouldn't hurt to check it for a leak after you get er back up and runnin.i wish i could tell you what the other problem is but i don't know.cheapest thing would be to start at the fuel filter first and go from there.i'll ask some wrench turners at work what they think it might be and post back later.hopefully by then you'll already have an answer.let us know if you get er figured out.

#12 ·
I appreciate the info. I unfortunately did not get a chance to mess with it tonight. I got off work real late. But for sure, tomorrow i'll check out the filter. I'm going to start taking everything apart and start cleaning everything out. I'm sure it is something minor.

#15 ·
So far, i cleaned out the IAC nothing, i ran it through the OBD scanner, everything checks out fine. Is there any hoses i might be missing? I checked for misfire, it checks out fine, fuel, fine, CCM, fine (whatever that means), you still think i should check the fuel filter?

#19 ·
Can you open the hood and post a video? I want to hear what is going on if I can.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Did you replace the filter?

#24 ·
I just read back through this entire post. I'm going to have to think a bit for more ideas.

The ticking you hear could be an exhaust leak, or it could be the lash adjusters that the rockers ride on. That should not shut the car off though.

Have the alternator and battery checked. Low voltage is a New Edge Mustang's enemy. The cars do all kinds of strange things.

#25 ·
Anything that you can come up with would be a great amount of help.

Is there a trick to determine exactly where the ticking is coming from? Or would i just really have to do some investigation? Lol.

About a year ago, i replaced both the alternator and battery. I was having serious electrical issues with the car. I took it to a electric shop and they fixed it right up. The battery light would stay on, I wouldn't be able to drive past 15 miles until everything would shut off and it would not start back up at all.

I can have them rechecked nonetheless.

But i appreciate your help.

#26 ·
You can place a long extension of screw driver on the valve cover and put your ear to the tool. That is a cheap mechanic's stethoscope. If it is the valves you will hear it.

To find an exhaust leak drive the car on to a set of ramps. Chock the tires, set the emergency brake, and if possible place someone in the car with their foot on the brake. Look and listen for any exhast fumes that may be escaping.

At the moment I cannot remember if I have asked, but does your car have an aftermarket tune?

#27 ·
Oh nice! Thank you for that. I will check both out tonight or tomorrow morning.

As far as a tune, it does not. I doubt if the previous owner did anything either. I owned the car most of its life and was 100% stock when i purchased it in 07'

#28 ·
So i have been doing some research on my end on what the possibility can be. From earlier posts of this thread, someone mentioned about checking the ground. I have yet to do that, but where can i locate this? Also, i came across of the TPS possibly malfunctioning. What are your thoughts on that?

#29 ·
Anything is possible.

I noticed an aftermarket cold air intake. Make sure there are no leaks after the MAF. If extra air is getting into the engine that is not recognized by the computer the fuel mixture will be lean.

You may have to pull the intake and look over every inch of it.

As for the ground; I am not sure at the moment. I would have to look it up. I just had round two of a wisdom tooth extraction, and my brain is in neutral at the moment.

#35 ·
I'm not totally sure that is your problem, but you have definitely found a vacuum leak!

Replace the failed O-ring, and the cracked pintle cap, and see if it eliminates the stalling problem.

I did swap out that injector from my brothers 01 Bullitt. I compared the two. They have the same part #. I could be wrong. Now I'm starting to think it's the fuel relay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.