dumping too much fuel/running rich - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

Region: Texas
dumping too much fuel/running rich

just bought my 2001 bullitt for a steal and it came with egr delete, cold air, off road x pipe, flowmaster catback, ported heads, stage 3 cams, underdrive pullies, stage 2 clutch and flywheel, firewall adjuster, quadrant, lowering springs and adjustable rear shocks. now that said its been dumping a little too much fuel and burning too rich, I can tell because it shuts off everynow and then when I come to a stop but not that often id say only once a day at most and I can smell the richness of the fuel burn. I was told by the previous owner that it needed a tune to fix the problem. Im pretty sure that's what it is too but I would like to have some other opinions on if a tune will suffice.
shermanator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The car does need a tune. You have two options. In your case I would have the car dyno tuned due to the extent of modifications.

You can also have someone like Steeda, Bama, or a list of other tuners do a data log if you have a hand held tuner. From the info they get a tune can be written. However, it will become a tedious process due to the wait time between emails.

Pull a few plugs and take a look at them to be sure the engine is dumping more fuel into the cylinders than what is needed. That is where I would start.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Get a dyno tune. Worth the expense. And really unless you have a wide band o2 it's hard to tell how rich or lean you are... If you could run a data log with a laptop it could also help, but it's still better when used with a wide band o2. Using both is the ideal method...
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
May I ask why in the world the previous owner had the extent of modifications and did not have it tuned? There is a whole lot going on there that the stock PCM just can't cope with. I can't be the only one that thinks something is weird here...

OP how did this guy coax you into buying it? Did it have a tune and he just returned it to stock? What is your mechanical, Mustang, and automotive knowledge level? Did you get a stupid smoking deal on it? Were you looking for a project car?I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I mean all that, especially cams with no tune, I'm baffled. Take no offense as I do not mean any. There has to be some sort of extenuating circumstances, I'm just curious what those are.

All that aside, I love the look of the New Edge Bullitt. Only second to the Termi in my book. Congrats on finding one. I've yet to see one here, and only 1-2 at Mustang Week the few years I've gone. Can you post some pictures for us to drool over?
Old 08-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
May I ask why in the world the previous owner had the extent of modifications and did not have it tuned? There is a whole lot going on there that the stock PCM just can't cope with. I can't be the only one that thinks something is weird here...

OP how did this guy coax you into buying it? Did it have a tune and he just returned it to stock? What is your mechanical, Mustang, and automotive knowledge level? Did you get a stupid smoking deal on it? Were you looking for a project car?I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I mean all that, especially cams with no tune, I'm baffled. Take no offense as I do not mean any. There has to be some sort of extenuating circumstances, I'm just curious what those are.

All that aside, I love the look of the New Edge Bullitt. Only second to the Termi in my book. Congrats on finding one. I've yet to see one here, and only 1-2 at Mustang Week the few years I've gone. Can you post some pictures for us to drool over?
my knowledge level isn't that high but I do know a little more than an average guy. but yea it was a steal he had it posted for a a lot more than what I talked him down to. it was because he was in dyer need of cash for a duramax engine he was trying to buy and he had 3 mustangs and one was this gem so I capitalized on the situation. It had 135000 on the body and supposedly 15000 on the engine build. Im going to definitely get it dyno tuned now because of the urgency I can feel from yalls' replies lol but it has been tuned once before or it wouldn't run most likely but the seller told me it was due for another and I asked who did it and he did not know because his dad was the one who got the cams headers ect. and his father passed not too long ago. soo therefore it most likely wasn't a repitable shop. but ofcourse I will post more pics, possibly a vid after I shine her up all nice and pretty like.

and thanks man yea I was always known as a Camaro guy because of my first car being and 01 ss but I was always a huge fan of the bullitts for some reason they were my favorite mustang I guess because you don't see them often. I had an 03 350z before this and it was totaled because of a person hitting me. but this thing I love even more than the ss and 350! Even though it doesn't handle as well it is just as a blast to drive!
Old 08-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
The car does need a tune. You have two options. In your case I would have the car dyno tuned due to the extent of modifications.

You can also have someone like Steeda, Bama, or a list of other tuners do a data log if you have a hand held tuner. From the info they get a tune can be written. However, it will become a tedious process due to the wait time between emails.

Pull a few plugs and take a look at them to be sure the engine is dumping more fuel into the cylinders than what is needed. That is where I would start.

ok thank man that helps ill try to get my hands on one!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

dumping too much fuel/running rich

Any progress on figuring out what the problem is?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

I'm curious too.

Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:

yea had a ford master mechanic briefly look over and test drive it (with me in the car) lol and he told me that getting a chassis dyno tune would do the trick. he told me everything works strong and it pulls harder than he expected so compression is good. also told me the clutch was very strong. so yea im getting a dyno here in the next week or so and then ill see if it does in fact, fix the issue. ill definitely keep posting my progress and a vid of the tune lol but idk if im being ignorant or not saying this but I just don't want the damn thing to blow on the dyno lol because ive seen only one dyno take place and they ofcourse laid in to it pretty good.

p.s. the mechanic was a family friend so he is trusted.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Good stuff. Let us know what kind of numbers it puts down. In the mean time get us some pictures bud!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT