Right hand drive - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Right hand drive

Ok guys so I've been getting the opportunity to drive some nasty right hand drive cars lately and I'm wondering has anyone attempted to convert there new edge to right hand drive

04 GT
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrimes1 View Post
Ok guys so I've been getting the opportunity to drive some nasty right hand drive cars lately and I'm wondering has anyone attempted to convert there new edge to right hand drive

04 GT
I have driven a right hand drive Toyota Soarer (a true Japanese import, not a conversion). I have also driven a few mail delivery vehicles. As entertaining as right hand drive may seem, it really serves no purpose whatsoever on American roads.

Why are American cars left hand drive? Why are European cars right hand drive?
The location of the average driver plays a large role in reducing head on collisions. Placing the driver of a passenger car closer to the center line allows the driver to better judge where the vehicle is at in relation to the road.

That is a simplistic answer in regard to the logic of why American cars are left hand drive.

In my personal perspective I would ask why anyone would want to perform a right hand drive swap on an American car? If I had a European show car I could see the appeal for having right hand drive. A right hand BMW, Porsche, etc adds a bit of authenticity to the vehicles origin. In my opinion a Mustang is a left hand drive machine designed in America. The Mustang is one of a few cars that are a true American icon.
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I saw a 67 fastback converted to right hand drive. The guy had a ridiculous amount of money in the car. Right hand drive is cool in the US, for what it is. But i wouldn't convert a car over. Thats a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrimes1 View Post

04 GT
The New Edge cars that were exported to Australia are right hand drive. So you would just need to buy one and import it back to the states.
You would probably want to lose the goofy looking front bumper though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473493906487.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	204990  
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I have driven a right hand drive Toyota Soarer (a true Japanese import, not a conversion). I have also driven a few mail delivery vehicles. As entertaining as right hand drive may seem, it really serves no purpose whatsoever on American roads.

The location of the average driver plays a large role in reducing head on collisions. Placing the driver of a passenger car closer to the center line allows the driver to better judge where the vehicle is at in relation to the road.

That is a simplistic answer in regard to the logic of why American cars are left hand drive.

In my personal perspective I would ask why anyone would want to perform a right hand drive swap on an American car? If I had a European show car I could see the appeal for having right hand drive. A right hand BMW, Porsche, etc adds a bit of authenticity to the vehicles origin. In my opinion a Mustang is a left hand drive machine designed in America. The Mustang is one of a few cars that are a true American icon.
Both BMW and Porsche are left hand drive in their country of origin... Germany drives on the right hand side of the road.

It's interesting that early American automobiles were largely right hand drive, even though it was the law to keep to the right while driving. This was a carry over from the horse and wagon days. Most people are right handed, so wagons were driven from the right hand side, that way the reins could be held in the left hand, and the brake could be operated with the stronger right hand. Also, roads of the day were largely unpaved, and muddy, so it was preferable to exit the vehicle on the right, stepping directly onto the sidewalk.
It wasn't until 1908, when Henry Ford introduced the left hand drive Model T, that the auto manufacturers began to build left hand drive vehicles. By the early 1920's, all of the vehicles produced in America were driven from the left side.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
One of my most recent cars I've driven is a 1995 R33 gtr vspecClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1473514576.067609.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	204991

04 GT
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The New Edge cars that were exported to Australia are right hand drive. So you would just need to buy one and import it back to the states.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
...but everyone needs a V10 Mustang with four fog lights.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Both BMW and Porsche are left hand drive in their country of origin... Germany drives on the right hand side of the road.
I thought about that after I typed it.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Not all cars in Europe are right hand drive? Only in the UK is it like this, I've driven almost every European car on the market and they were all left hand drive.
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
That included front bumper shenanigans lol. I believe they had to add those lights because of DOT rules over there. It just looks terrible though. Is that the infamous 2000 Cobra that had something like 200 made for export?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
^ 02 Cobra.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
That included front bumper shenanigans lol. I believe they had to add those lights because of DOT rules over there. It just looks terrible though. Is that the infamous 2000 Cobra that had something like 200 made for export?
Yep. That is it.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
^ 02 Cobra.

Pick your poison.
I believe that the cars sent to Australia were 2000 MY. They were converted to right hand drive by a company over there, and then sold as 2001 MY cars.
2000 was the year that Ford elected to not sell the Cobra in the US due to the horsepower rating debacle in 1999. The Australians got the cars that were already built for the 2000 MY domestic market, and we got the race-ready Cobra R that year.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
100 units were built by Ford for Australia in 2002.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Pick your poison.
You are correct sir.
It was the Cobras based on the 2001 year model cars that went to Australia to be sold in 2002.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Pick your poison.
Technically, there are no 2002 Mustangs in Cobra trim. V6, and GT. There may have been a Bullitt, but I can't remember at the moment.

This left room for Roush and Saleen to show off what they could do.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Technically, there are no 2002 Mustangs in Cobra trim. V6, and GT. There may have been a Bullitt, but I can't remember at the moment.

The 2001 Cobra was the reason that there was no 2002 Cobra.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:

Australia was the only place to get a 2002 Cobra. Bullitts were only made in 01, 08, and 09.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT