drivetrain help. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
drivetrain help.

So I have a 03 mustang gt.
I put a used t56 from a cobra with a brand new clutch in it about 2 years ago. I went through several different clutch cables after time and I knew that something with the clutch wasnt right. I got in it one day after it's been sitting for about a month and I can not shift into any gear. I thought it was a clutch cable so I re adjusted it and still nothing. So I came to the solution to take the transmission out and see what's up with the clutch. I took the transmission out several times for little things like the clutch fork falling off the pivot stud and the throw out bearing falling apart. So to do everything right I'm just going to rebuild the damn thing and get a new clutch and new flywheel and clutch fork because there is a possibility that the clutch fork is making my clutch cable out of alignment since its in pretty bad shape. Anyway, does anyone know what parts I need to rebuild my t56? And Maybe a write up someone can direct me to? I'm doing this rebuild by myself so it won't kill my pockets. And also does anyone know if I can buy just the clutch disk for my spec stage 2 clutch. Any opinions or questions feel free, trying to get to the bottom of this so I can get this thing back up and running again

phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
It sounds like you have a problem with the clutch linkage assembly (clutch cable, fork, pivot) that is complicating the adjustment, and causing other problems, such as the failed throw out bearing... I don't think that you necessarily need to rebuild the transmission.

What manufacturer clutch cable is installed on the car?
Is there a aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster? If so, what kind?
I'm assuming that the clutch fork and pivot ball are original and came with the transmission?

straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Well the tranny does have a leak in the rear that I wish to fix. If I open her up might as well go the extra step to replace the other things I need to replace to get my t56 on top notch so I can proceed with my build. The pivot stud is original but now that I'm thinking of it the clutch fork I believe was from my tr3650. I think that's the problem. I just hope my clutch is okay. I've used SR clutch cable and autozone clutch cables and I have a buddies used oem clutch cable that is on the car now.
So far I know I definitely need to replace the pivot stud and the clutch fork and the clutch cable. I guess my next step is to pull it apart to see what my clutch looks like

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

And yes I have a sr fire wall adjuster and sr quadrant
phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT