Throw out bearing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2016, 06:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 274
Throw out bearing

I have changed my TOB at least 4 times in the past two years. What could be causing it? Will changing the clutch, pressure plate, tob, pilot bearing(already changed once) help this out?
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-27-2016, 06:48 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,889
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
What tob are you installing. Oem ford or you are wasting time and money.

Also check your adjustment to ensure the tob doesn't have pressure on it all of the time. When engaged it should not be spinning.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
What tob are you installing. Oem ford or you are wasting time and money.

Also check your adjustment to ensure the tob doesn't have pressure on it all of the time. When engaged it should not be spinning.
First one was some cheap stuff from online, from than on I bought only OEM ford. D: I've checked and adjusted to where it would not be spinning D:
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
phillip433's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 252
I feel your pain
phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip433 View Post
I feel your pain
I sure hope not! lol This thing doing 40mph is chirping away like a song bird llol. At idle its even worse !!!
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
phillip433's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 252
I replaced mine for the third time after it tore into pieces. First one was junk and cheap. The second time I'm assuming my clutch wasn't aligned. And apparently it's still not since I had to replace it for the third time. I can take out my tranny with my eyes closed lol. From what I Learned it's definitely a clutch alignment issue
phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip433 View Post
I replaced mine for the third time after it tore into pieces. First one was junk and cheap. The second time I'm assuming my clutch wasn't aligned. And apparently it's still not since I had to replace it for the third time. I can take out my tranny with my eyes closed lol. From what I Learned it's definitely a clutch alignment issue
Hmm I will look into it, I've been told my input shaft is bent o.O lol.. after putting on 23k miles I find it hard to believe as this car has been abused heavily lol. and driven nonstop keywest to orlando multiple times a month D: I'm lost I'm going to go all stock now as I work for a company who owns a ford dealer, clutch, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing for 300$ why not lol. I can also take this trans apart easily
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,385
I need to pull my trans and replace the TOB. I wish I had a lift, but...
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I need to pull my trans and replace the TOB. I wish I had a lift, but...
Don't we all wish we did ? D: One day we will If you live in SOFLO we can go halfsies
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
Don't we all wish we did ? D: One day we will If you live in SOFLO we can go halfsies
All I need is a good job offer and I will relocate. I have considered applying to work with Steeda. I would prefer their Valdosta location over Miami though. I'm not big on Miami, I do like Daytona and a few cities on the Gulf.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
All I need is a good job offer and I will relocate. I have considered applying to work with Steeda. I would prefer their Valdosta location over Miami though. I'm not big on Miami, I do like Daytona and a few cities on the Gulf.
Miami is not all that great, I live on the East coast and to be frank I haven't really ventured into the Gulf...haha.. I live north of Miami though In Pembroke Pines.. not as busy as Miami but its getting there in the recent years D:...
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
Miami is not all that great, I live on the East coast and to be frank I haven't really ventured into the Gulf...haha.. I live north of Miami though In Pembroke Pines.. not as busy as Miami but its getting there in the recent years D:...
That isn't a bad area. It was once a nice peaceful little place.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
That isn't a bad area. It was once a nice peaceful little place.
Yup just in the recent years its gotten over populated. But all of South Florida i like that anyways. We are looking to move up into Orlando.. A little cheaper anyways. At least today my shift knob and short shifter lever come in from AM after I broke mines.is this common? The steeda tri-ax??
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
Yup just in the recent years its gotten over populated. But all of South Florida i like that anyways. We are looking to move up into Orlando.. A little cheaper anyways. At least today my shift knob and short shifter lever come in from AM after I broke mines.is this common? The steeda tri-ax??
I have never seen a shift knob break. Hopefully Steeda covered it.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
PARTSFROMERIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PEMBROKE PINES
Region: Florida
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I have never seen a shift knob break. Hopefully Steeda covered it.
wasn't the knob sorry it was the extension itself the short shifter lever I guess?? and no I just bought a new one form AM lol.
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
wasn't the knob sorry it was the extension itself the short shifter lever I guess?? and no I just bought a new one form AM lol.
No disrespect to Steeda, but it sounds like you got a defective hunk of junk.

MGW is worth every penny. Those guys are perfectionists in everything they do.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
No disrespect to Steeda, but it sounds like you got a defective hunk of junk.

MGW is worth every penny. Those guys are perfectionists in everything they do.
When it comes to banging gears I would rather have a Steeda over an MGW any day.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
When it comes to banging gears I would rather have a Steeda over an MGW any day.
Preference is why there are so many options and manufacturers. When it comes to Mustangs, Steeda is a force to be reckoned with. Saleen, Roush, and even Shinoda have produced Mustang performance parts that are second to none. The perfect Mustang is likely built with a few parts from everyone.

I do like Steeda. I am seriously considering sending in a resume to the company. However, I cannot overlook the many MGW shifters that are flawless works of art.

I test drove around 100 New Edge Mustangs while shopping for the car I now own. I found the stock shifters to be sloppy with a huge reach. Ford did a horrible job with the stock unit.

I drove at least three cars with a Steeda shifter, and I will admit there was a huge improvement over the factory option.

Being in Augusta (the home of MGW), many of the cars in my area have their shifter. I have driven Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustangs with MGW installed, and have always been impressed.

There is a bit of notchiness, but that tells me the gear is locked in. A quick tug places the trans in second effortlessly. 3rd gear is just a push forward as the centering springs line everything up. The same goes for 4th gear. 5th gear is something you have to be intentional about.

Also with MGW I can adjust the location of the shifter. When my car is in 5th gear it is in the position most cars are at in 1st. The reach on my short throw is effortless.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
86 throw out bearing bad? lilrafe87 1979-1995 Mustang GT 101 06-15-2012 01:46 AM
Throw out bearing 2000_gt 1996-2004 Mustang GT 1 05-16-2012 11:54 AM
Throw out bearing question jhagan1980 1979-1995 Mustang GT 30 11-27-2011 03:50 PM
Throw Out Bearing? USAF_stang 1996-2004 Mustang GT 9 07-20-2011 01:07 PM
Junk Throw out bearing!!! Rascal Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 16 06-18-2010 03:24 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:52 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.