Replacing steering rack bushings, which ones should I get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Canada
Replacing steering rack bushings, which ones should I get?

The steering rack bushings on my car are original and super loose. I am looking at replacing them and I have found both the original type and offset ones for lowered cars online. My car is lowered 1" with Ford Racing C springs. Would the offset ones be better than the stock style in my case or are they intended for more extreme drops? It seems to drive fine now except for the sloppy steering and the alignment is all within spec. Also is there any particular brand of bushings you guys would recommend?

99GT4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
The offset bushings are unnecessary for your application.
I don't really have a brand recommendation, but stiffer bushings will not only improve the steering responsiveness, they will also increase the road vibration that is transmitted to the steering wheel.
Whatever bushing material that you choose, you will notice a big difference by replacing your worn out bushings.

straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Michigan
This is my plan too this spring. Over the winter Im going to order/stock up on all my frontend bushings, tie rods, etc to tighten my frontend up and get the worn, dry rotting crap out of there. I did this to my 96 and it felt like and still does a new car, really makes a huge difference in the feel like Stray mentioned. I have new shocks/struts/lowering springs/ ball joints- but I need the rest to polish it off. At least its fairly cheap as far as parts go and most of it can be done with jack stands and a basic tool kit.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT