Mustang Evolution Forum banner

tr3650 issues

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  arena314 
#1 ·
so I just found out that the tr3650 in my mustang is on borrowed time. it has hard shifts into 1st 2nd and reverse about 80% of the time. it doesn't wine or grind just hard shifts. I was told it has something to do with the nylon pads used on them from the factory and soon I'll need a trans. I plan on driving the car longer but will be doing a trans soon I guess. my question is who has or has had this problem with there 3650s how long did you drive it like that and what fluids or techniques did you guys use to make the shifts feel easier? and btw if anyone has a good 3650 for sale in the Philadelphia area lmk. thanks

#2 ·
The 3650 in my 02 GT whines like a supercharger. I wish it I had hard shifts. I have no idea what I'm going to find, but like you it will likely end in a new trans.

Get a tr3650 from 04 or a rebuilt trans with stronger parts. The 03 and down are garbage according to my findings.

#5 ·
There is only 3 main problems with all tr-3650. Plastic Shift fork pads, weak shift fork pins, and synchronizers tend to wear out and cause grinding, which can lead to damaging teeth on a gear. It's bound to be one of these issues. You can get one rebuild for around 500 plus parts. Brass shift fork pads and hardened pins cost about 55 bucks, and the synchronizers packages cost anywhere from 260-530 bucks depending on what package you get. and like everybody said 2004 tr-3650 has bigger/stronger shift forks.

Check out pro-forceperformance, He has all parts and he is really smart with tr-3650 and t56 transmissions.

http://www.pro-forceperformance.com/tr3650_parts.htm

2004 Mustang GT DD
5 speed manual
Full bolt ons
Built moser rearend
395rwhp 500rwtq
11.8 @ 115
7.5 @ 92

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.