Mustang Evolution Forum banner

tuning issues?

3K views 63 replies 11 participants last post by  arena314 
#1 ·
I just got an 01 gt with longtubes catted xpipe accufab throttle body 3.73's intake underdrive pullies and more. the car doesn't run very good at all it will start and die or start and sound like it has cams and run very rough or stall out. I did the plugs and fixed a misfire but there's also a p0206 code on the car which is something with the ecu and I assume this is my issue? if I went in there with my sct bama tuner and tuned it will it fix my issues? if not how do I go about fixing them? thanks for any responses I'm extremely frustrated about this idk what to do

#4 ·
P0206 is not an ECU issue.

P0206- Cylinder 6 injector circuit malfunction

But scan the car again with your tuner and take a picture of what codes it sets and post it so we can be sure.

But if that's the case for the injectors I would just replace that injector or depending on what injectors are on the car now you could just upgrade all 8.

They are easy to swap but that makes sense why it idles ****ty ****ty and dies.

But if you want to be sure, swap that injector to another place, see if the code shows up on a different cylinder.

If it does it's definitely that injector, if it stays then it's a wiring issue to that injector.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#6 ·
Text Font Document Paper

That's off the website I use at work (dealership)

Maybe when you searched it was showing like the generic code this is specific for the car.

But it could also be that the code is coming from the pcm but it's for the injector.

But either way swap the injector see if it follows it.

And also check for any vacuum leaks a small one could cause it to die and lope. Telling you from experience

#12 ·
If you're running stock injectors with those mods you need to at least upgrade to 24lbs on all 8. The stock injectors are already almost maxed out when the car is 100% stock.

You've got like 20-25 hp in mods on the car now. So you need to upgrade.

If you can swap the injector to a different place to see if the code pops up on a different cylinder that would help

#26 ·
If you're running stock injectors with those mods you need to at least upgrade to 24lbs on all 8. The stock injectors are already almost maxed out when the car is 100% stock.

Only the 19lb injectors are maxed out like that from the factory, 21lb injectors are fine.

looking under the hood I see a lot of different wires that have bare wire sticking out of them that can be an issue also right?

Start taking pictures of the wires under hood, it's possible someone just decided to hack the harness up.

oh and I dont think I mentioned that my battery light comes on and off sometimes and my systems voltage with the car running is below 14 volts and tbe scanner is telling me that my rear 02 sensors are shut off
Pull your alternator and have it load tested by your local Auto Zone/O'Reilley's/Advanced, it's probably bad which is causing the battery light. Rear O2's get shut off when people tune for both having cats.

#13 ·
First Move that cylinder 6 injector to another cylinder and see if the problem follows to that other cylinder then it would be that injector. A lot of times injectors become clogged and need to be cleaned or replaced because it's not flowing at it's manufactured rate.

If the problem is still in cylinder 6 try Data logging. This could determine if it's in the tune or another problem. If you have sct tuner device and a computer with livelink 6.5. This can be done fairly easily watching how to videos.

If all these check out to be okay. You should find your problem in any of the wire harnesses that interact with that injector cylinder 6 or in the ECU.

#19 ·
You're making this a lot harder then it needs to be.

Just because your car is doing the same thing his is doesn't mean it's the same issue.

A car can do the same thing yours is and it could be 20 different things causing it.

But you KNOW you have a code for an injector so why would you think it's got a "chip" other then it's doing the same thing.

My car could be doing the same thing yours is, but if I have a code for a injector I'm not going to say "oh well this guy says he replaced is air filter and it fixed it so I'm going to ignore the code and just do what he did."

The car is telling you what's wrong so listen to the car.

#20 ·
I'm not going to bash you but it seems like you may not be super mechanically sound. However most of us on here know what we're talking about.

Myself I am an ASE certified technician and do this everyday.

Just fix the issue, which is the injector or injector harness

#21 ·
honestly I just have a hard time believing that it would run this bad with 1 cylinder not getting fuel. and sometimes the code comes up and sometimes there's no codes and sometimes it idles and runs sometimes it doesn't stay running for more then a second

#22 ·
If you want to throw parts at it and dump a bunch of money and time in it by all means do what you think is best.

But in the end when it something simple you'll regret it.

Think of it this way.

The one cylinder not firing is throwing off the balance of the engine, the paired cylinder is now off because its partner isn't pulling its weight. The cars o2 sensors are thinking it's running too lean/rich because it's not calculating the air/fuel ratio because 1 cylinder isn't getting any fuel just air. So the car has no idea wtf to do.

On top of that there is no telling what wires are bare like you said, so there's that.

The least you could do is fix the problem that you know the car has and see how it performs after that.

I feel like I'm starting to beat a dead horse.

#28 ·
Doesn't get clearer than that. Seriously OP, you've been given advise by several on exactly where you need to start. If you don't want good advise or the correct answers, then that's on you. Hell, we've given you a few FREE things to test. Please start there.

You'll just frustrate yourself and us if your car is telling you what's wrong, and you want to mess with something unrelated.

#29 ·
I just tried starting it and no luck it wouldn't stay running. I pulled the maf sensor plug and the car started right up and idled smoothly and all and ran better then I turned off the car and tried starting it maf unplugged and it started right up tried starting it maf plugged in and it wouldn't start. one the car is warmed up it will run with the maf plugged in but still won't start with it plugged in

#30 ·
The it's running fine without the maf because the computer isn't taking into count what air is coming in from the maf, therefore it's not noticing the injector that's messed up because it doesn't know what air is coming in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.