Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What is this noise?

5K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  ab_mach1 
#1 ·
https://youtu.be/MOl7A7Ltk20

Only happens after i drive the car and only at idle, very loud humming noise and it goes away with any use of the throttle. Car runs fine and nothing is out of place

#4 ·
Use a long screwdriver, or something similar, as a mechanics stethoscope, and touch one end to the IAC and hold the other end to your ear to verify that the sound is indeed coming from the IAC.
If you end up having to replace it, I recommend purchasing either a Motorcraft or a Hitachi.

#11 ·
My car was doing the same thing. When it would make that strange noise, I was never able to get out of the car and open the hood before the noise stopped. It was driving me nuts not knowing what it was! I was planning on replacing the IAC anyways, due to the poor idle quality, but in the meantime, I read a post on this website that described the intermittent humming noise to be a worn out IAC valve. Sure enough, when I replaced the IAC, the noise disappeared.

#12 ·
I did notice today my cars idle sounded really really different and quiet than it usually is like it has an offroad x and stingers yet the idle was really really quiet. The past 4 months the idle was choppy then i did a bunch of little things to it and it mainly went away

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#15 ·
You probably still have a leak in the fuel system venting somewhere.
I don't know what to tell you if that sound is indeed being caused by that CAI.
Did you determine for sure that the sound is not coming from the IAC?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#19 ·
If you get a new IAC, get ONLY a Motorcraft or one made by Hitcahi. I tried 2 or 3 from parts stores brands and none of them would work correctly until I got an OEM unit. Just in case you get one and still have an issue like I did.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#20 ·
If you get a new IAC, get ONLY a Motorcraft or one made by Hitcahi. I tried 2 or 3 from parts stores brands and none of them would work correctly until I got an OEM unit. Just in case you get one and still have an issue like I did.
I bought a Motorcraft IAC from RockAuto and it was bad when I got it. I would buy your Motorcraft parts locally if possible, because I've gotten bad AC Delco parts from RockAuto too. I think their handling or wherever they buy their parts from is suspect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.