Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Has anyone used these retrofit projector headlights from LMR?

9K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  joe2000 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've seen lots of those clear corner retrofits out there, but not these yet. I'd be interested in how they do as well. Projector is the only way to make the LED and HID bulbs work correctly. I think my biggest fear is moisture with any of the aftermarket ones. I guess you could get some clear silicone and try to seal them up in the vulnerable places.

#3 · (Edited)
Those are halogen projectors, NOT HID. This means you'll run into some or all of the same issues. Been there, done that. The best SN95 cheap lighting solution is unfortunately only for 94-98 cars. DEPO projectors that turn the headlights into a 2 bulb solution (separate hi and lo beams) and uses 9005/9006 bulbs. This means you can use 9011/9012 HIR bulbs which are snow plow bulbs and are ridiculously bright for a halogen.

And TBTH... light output is not going to be be better than a cleaned up stock housing with a good bulb in it. Recommend Philips Xtreme Vision. $200 for lights is $200 for looking like it has HID projectors in it. Up to you.

If you TRULY want to upgrade correctly, get Morimoto projectors and either DIY or pay someone to retrofit some stock/stock style housings.

#4 ·
I see that in the description, now that I look. I looked up some LED H1 bulbs and many are "daytime running light" type bulbs. I'm assuming the H1 halogen are probably not as bright as a 9007 halogen for the stock housings, just based on bulb size. I didn't look up the HID bulbs for that size. That explains why they are $200 and the retrofits are still >$400 lol. I'm not sure what brand the "clear corner" housings are, but many buy those off eBay and send them out to get a retrofit completed on them. So, ~$90 for the housings and then add the retrofit kit $$ or the $$ to have someone do it for you. Not in my price range just yet lol.

#5 ·
Another thing to keep in mind is heat. If you convert those to HID You will probably melt them. HID bulbs get really hot. The housing needs to be made for them.

#6 ·
Yep... and finally, even if it doesn't melt the housing its going to have a cutoff line that is complete *** and likely bends down at the ends. Again, been there done that, tried a HID in one of those 94-98 projectors I was talking about the HIDs were terrible as far as seeing stuff. If I had kept that car I would have yanked them out for 9012 bulbs.

#7 ·
I had Angel Eyes on my 04 with an HID Kit I installed. They are similar to what you're looking at except they had the separate Hi & Low Beams & Halo's like the other posters said. They worked just fine with the HID kit. No Leaks or Melting or anything else. I paid about $140 for the lights & another $60 for the HID Kit (off EBay). You can probably see the lights on my car if you view my pics.

#8 ·
Post pics of the cutoff

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 ·
The HID cutoff...

If it doesn't look like this, you have a ****ty retrofit or you are ricing it up and putting a PnP kit in halogen housings. And if it doesn't look like this you are a danger to oncoming traffic.

Attachments

#12 ·
I have these from ebay and put H1 hid kit on them and they have a decent cut off line and are bright as any new car.Now the bad news.Other than splicing one ground and one hot wire for each headlight water sealing these was much harder than other aftermarket headlights.The silicon didnt stick to well on the black plastic for some reason.But i found some butyl tape from camping world and sealed for good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.