Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Strange miss?

2K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Soccerluvr4 
#1 ·
Ok, so anyone that knows my car knows that I have had issues with spark plugs and missfiring in the past. The Mustang sat for about a month while I was out of the country (it also sat for a month prior to that during winter break, but was driven a day in between those periods), so I drove it for the first time today. Battery was disconnected during that time so it fired right up. Ran fine when I drove it to get gas, then I drove it to a different spot to take pics. After taking pics and it sitting there for probably 10 minutes I start it up, and it starts to slightly miss. Not bad, but I could feel it a bit when driving, and was more noticeable when I got back to my apartment and it was more fully warmed up.

The missing seems to start after it warms up, and is on the passenger side. I already know the typical check spark plugs and COPs, but anyone have any idea why it would happen after warmed up?

#4 ·
I know on small engines plugs can grd when hot....electrical components can too. I would swap out 1st the cops from side to side then plugs and see if the problem moves

I can't believe I'm giving this advice to you....I assume you've already thought of it.

#5 ·
I wish this was happening on the driver side so I didn't have the huge intake right over all my plugs and COPs lol. I'm not too sure I'd like to pull my plugs right now since I don't have a torque wrench handy being at my apartment again. maybe, though.

#12 ·
I've considered replacing it in the past. I don't have any ability to do any type of work under the car, though, at my apartment. Best I can do is basic stuff in the engine bay. But its going to rain all this week, and my car port floods a bit with heavy rain, so I'd be standing in water. Not really a good motivator to work on the car.

#15 · (Edited)
Well as of the 1st of March I'll have a lot more time on my hands, but less money. Got the old 2 week notice from work. Financially fine through the school year, just gotta limit spending. So no major car stuff, but I'll have time to check the plugs lol.

Gives me time to enjoy the rest of college, though. And put more time into applying for jobs actually in my field. So not too bummed.

#16 ·
It should be tucked up behind the gas tank, between the tank and the diff. It's not hard to do, but you'll need to raise the rear enough to get underneath. Motorcraft replacements are on about $16 for the filter. I bought an $8 tool that removes the gas lines from the filter, but I think auto parts stores lend those out too. You just want to unplug the fuel inertia switch and let the car die. There will still be a tic of pressure in there. You can get a rag and relieve pressure at the pressure port on the fuel rail. The Mach 1's have one on the passenger side. Not sure about the 2v's, but I'm sure it has one. Should be just a schrader valve port.

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Sorry about your job!

#17 ·
A little glad to be done honestly. Now I can enjoy my final semester of college, and look for a career in my field of study. I am financially fine to last me for over 6 months so I'm not worried at all really.

I'll definitely keep the fuel filter in mind for next time I can get the car off the ground. I'll probably order a cheap torque wrench and check out the plugs first. I'll try to get that done before the next C&C.

#18 ·
I've been dealing with a strange miss after my car warms up too. I have 02 GT and it seemed to do it worse after it warmed up, usually cruising around a specific RPM range, and under load too.

I swapped out my COPs and it has never run better. I bought a 10 pack of them for REAL cheap. I've always read only do Motorcraft coil packs and everything, but I also read that some no-name brands are from the same factory, just not branded the same? Idk, I figured it was so cheap it couldn't hurt to try!

Like others have suggested, I would check fuel filter too if you have never changed it. But I would lean more towards COPs since its after it warms up, with the electronics losing performance with increased heat and all that jazz. Or maybe a sensor like your Crankshaft Position Sensor I think it is called? I think I have read that can cause some funky stuff along with the alternator.

I hope you find it out! Love your car by the way :bow: Keep us updated on what you find....

#22 ·
Ok I'm checking the plugs right now. Got 1-3 out on passenger side. 3 broke loose way too easy, could it being loose cause the miss? Gonna pull number 4 anyway. COPs all look to be in good shape still.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#24 ·
Well I'm dumb. I just remembered the miss is on the driver side, not the passenger side lol.

I realized that because I got to number 8 and the COP was missing the screw and didn't quite seem pushed down all the way...............

Well it's a good time to just replace all the plugs lmao

#25 ·
Ok this was the plug of number 8 that the COP wasn't seated all the way. As you can see it's filthy, the part the COP touches is a tad wet also.

Hoping I found the culprit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.