Replacing ball joints - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Replacing ball joints

Can you change out the ball joints at home? I'm kinda worried about getting the old ones out. Well TBH, worried about getting the new ones in as well lol.
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Can you change out the ball joints at home? I'm kinda worried about getting the old ones out. Well TBH, worried about getting the new ones in as well lol.
I believe with a floor jack holding the lower arm up you can bang the old one out. OR try and see if you have a c clamp you can modify to press it out and press the new one in. I think autozone or advanced carries the tool for it... remember safety first keep it on jack stands
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I did it on my truck, you can rent tools from auto zone or oreily free and it would be better with two people

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Thanks guys. I think I'll checkout what O'Reilly has and see what's up. I've watched some videos recently on the tube and some have some difficulties lol. I'm pretty sure I've found a shop that will put the new ball joint on the control arm, but that would mean taking it completely off to take it to them.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Thanks guys. I think I'll checkout what O'Reilly has and see what's up. I've watched some videos recently on the tube and some have some difficulties lol. I'm pretty sure I've found a shop that will put the new ball joint on the control arm, but that would mean taking it completely off to take it to them.
I don't think the control is that hard to take off though? I believe it was just two bolts no? lol I might be going crazy, get that sucker off and take it to the shop, save you the hassle of spending all day and night fighting with the ball joint
PARTSFROMERIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSFROMERIK View Post
I don't think the control is that hard to take off though? I believe it was just two bolts no? lol I might be going crazy, get that sucker off and take it to the shop, save you the hassle of spending all day and night fighting with the ball joint
Yup, two bolts and pull the spring out. I figure if I can leave it in, then I won't have any trouble with the bushings lol. My luck, the bushing will get boogered up and I'll need to replace those. At that point, it could probably be approaching the cost of just buying new stock A arms. I know what I want to do. I want to buy MM A arms and the coilover conversion haha. It's only money, right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT