Mustang Evolution Forum banner

6 Cats :-(

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Steve96 
#1 ·
:banghead: Hi..

I need to get rid of the 6 cats on my 98 GT, they're driving me crazy! There's only one problem..I live in Smog Nazi Cali. I have violator mufflers on with stock headers, but I want to get a system with the O/R X pipes that will still enable me to pass smog without the hassle of re-installing the cats every 2 years. Any systems out there that include cats I can get with the O/R X pipes?

Much appreciated ..

#5 ·
Removing ANY emissions equipment is illegal. And california actually enforces it unlike many states. Not to mention if you do the swap thing and a cop pulls you over and does a spot check and you don't have cats... prepare your butthole.

Best bet is to get a pipe made with dummy cats and swap every 2 years. Swapping takes all of a half hour...

#12 ·
Hey Cali spec not all bad. 88 t top foxbody no mass air conversion required lol.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#20 ·
Others who do not live in strict states such as California should realize that catalytic converters are a federally mandated piece of equipment, meaning that if your state does not have inspections, they are still required. Also know this: its illegal to remove them by federal law, its illegal to sell a vehicle if they were on the vehicle as original equipment and then removed, and by law, you can't trade a car in without them, as the dealer cannot resell the vehicle unless they reinstall them. This is why a dealer is required to have you sign a paper that states all federally mandated equipment is still on the vehicle. If you sign it and the equipment is found to not be installed, they can sue and have the deal reversed, or force you to pay to have the equipment reinstalled. This goes for private sales as well. Even if you sell a vehicle "as is", the buyer can come back to you and sue to have the deal reversed or force you to pay for reinstall. That's a federal law that protects the removal of such equipment, and not a state law.

Bottom line? Leave them on, or save them to reinstall when you want to sell or trade in the vehicle.

Reactions: 51008
#21 ·
Others who do not live in strict states such as California should realize that catalytic converters are a federally mandated piece of equipment, meaning that if your state does not have inspections, they are still required. Also know this: its illegal to remove them by federal law, its illegal to sell a vehicle if they were on the vehicle as original equipment and then removed, and by law, you can't trade a car in without them, as the dealer cannot resell the vehicle unless they reinstall them. This is why a dealer is required to have you sign a paper that states all federally mandated equipment is still on the vehicle. If you sign it and the equipment is found to not be installed, they can sue and have the deal reversed, or force you to pay to have the equipment reinstalled. This goes for private sales as well. Even if you sell a vehicle "as is", the buyer can come back to you and sue to have the deal reversed or force you to pay for reinstall. That's a federal law that protects the removal of such equipment, and not a state law.

Bottom line? Leave them on, or save them to reinstall when you want to sell or trade in the vehicle.
Yep, way too many ppl are like "lol wtf my state doesn't have emissions noob!!111!1" and then they get nailed in a situation like this. Exactly what I mentioned happened to my buddy. I mean he wasn't all stupid like that but when I had my 95 Cobra I drove it for YEARS in NJ without cats and just did the swap for emissions day which is why he figured he'd be fine in WI. But nope... For me... I was pulled over twice in that car and either time I could have been SCREWED if the cop had checked but military ID and being polite=warning. In hindsight I should have just ran a good aftermarket catted pipe but pushrod with no cats and straight through Ultra Flows did sound amazing.

#22 ·
This is why shops will not install aftermarket "off road" midpipes or remove cats other than to replace them. They are subject to federal fines.

This is exactly why I kept my OEM midpipe lol. We don't have emissions testing, but I've known about the federal law for decades. I knew if we ever started emissions testing here locally, or if a cop instructed me to put them back on, or if I just wanted to sell my Mach, I'd have it for just such an occasion. This is the primary reason why people should never butcher their midpipes by cutting and welding etc. You'll just make it harder on yourself if you have to get cats back on lol.

#25 ·
Your welcome. Some members may be interested in performance only, and may not be operating their vehicles on public roads. Others may not know what the laws are, so the beauty of this and other forums are to post all points to a topic.

#27 ·
Upr.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#29 ·
If you can get the cutouts to seal properly is the problem. I had them on my Impala and I couldn't get them to seal properly after multiple attempts. They weren't some cheap $100 cutouts either. Basically if they don't seal correctly; they'll sound like garbage closed.
Then a friend of mine had them on his Camaro and they started leaking after about 6 months. Then we couldn't get them to seal properly either.

Pick your poison.

#30 ·
My 96 had 6 cats, as well. 3 on each side of course. Shop did the off road X pipe swap for my stock one no questions asked. Maybe I should black mail them? Jk. But no issues and no one I have ever known has had issues with being catless, either driving, selling private party, etc. But, yes everyone should know the laws and what your getting into when you do something like this.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.