Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Header issue on stage 2 roush

1K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Mystic96 
#1 ·
I got some aftermarket headers and they arent ceramic or stainless ik that at least but they come into contact with my steering column/rack and the car drives funky and very floaty with it and it makes terrible noises when i turn so i know its an issue. Do i need new headers or is there a way to adjust it to clear?

#9 ·
You have basically three options:
1. Reinstall the stock exhaust manifolds.
2. Purchase a high quality set of headers that fit better
3. Do what I originally suggested, and remove the header so that you can pound a big dent in the header tube to provide clearance for the u-joint on the steering shaft.

#11 ·
Aside from having to remove and reinstall the header, it's not really a huge deal. It's fairly common to have to put a dent or two into headers to provide clearance for various different things. This is sometimes even necessary to do on well-known, brand-name, headers. It seems kinda brutal, but it doesn't affect the performance at all.

#19 ·
That's a shame. It can't be pleasant to drive with the steering shaft rubbing like that, so it's easy to understand the reason for the low miles.

Just a thought, don't know if it is possible, but it might be easier to remove the steering shaft rather than the header, IF you could get something like a giant pair of channel-lock pliers around that header tube, and squeeze them hard enough, to put enough of a crimp in it to provide clearance for the steering shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.