Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2004 Mustang GT version 3.0 build thread.

11K views 127 replies 15 participants last post by  phatspeed7x 
#1 ·
Well I finally paid off my 2004 Mustang GT. This year I have some plans for it. Top priority is to get it running properly again.

Last summer I installed a set of CMS stage 2 NA cams, and I've been battling motor issues ever since. Pretty sure the valve guides in my heads are gacked, and a head swap in set up for this spring time. I bought a set of used PI head from my buddy who did a 4V swap on his 1999 GT. I know the valve covers are different and he's including them with the heads. I'll have to get a head gasket kit for a 1999 GT I know (it has mostly new gaskets but it's been apart a couple time since the first install, and would just rather put new stuff in there).

Also have a set of used bbk long tube headers with a matching X pipe I'm buying from another buddy who is doing a On 3 turbo build.

The ultimate goal is to make a reliable 300rwhp summer toy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#34 ·
Hopefully my car will be in the shop and under the knife soon. Sounds like Eric is getting his modified dirt track car ready for racing Thursday. Season opener for Grand Rapids.

But I've been thinking. Once I get these new heads installed with bbk long tubes and X pipe this car might be too much of a magnet for the sound police. Mufflers I'm running now are little Flowmaster super 10 series.

Been thinking of getting different mufflers again for the car. Before the Super 10 series I had a set of pypes m80 race mufflers and they were loud (basically glass packs). Been looking at the hushpower (or Pro series) Flowmaster mufflers.

Would be open to other brands as well. Looking to get rid of some of the raps the X pipe is going to give the car.

#37 ·
Major update!

Got old heads off and discovered the issues. Valve guides broken in cylinder 1,2,4. Parts were playing pin pong in the combustion chambers. Pistons got a little beat up but eric said he's ran racecar pistons in worse shape. Going to do the head swap and run it this year. Will look at building a motor this winter maybe.

#42 ·
Update on install.

Those Windsor heads were junk. Ended up getting a set of 04 romeo heads for free from another buddy. Swapped out my springs and cams. Head are torqued to motor. Headers are in place (not bolted up). I need to buy a new dipstick up, and fluids tomorrow. Hopefully will have it up and running by the end of the week.

#62 ·
Was able to do some data logging today, and got the files sent out. Hopefully will see a revised tune sometime next week. The car really gets noticed when I put the hammer down. The Flowmaster Super 10 series are LOUD! But to my surprise the GF doesn't mind them! So they will be staying on the car! I'll find something else to install the Gibson MWA muffers on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.