Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2004 Mustang GT version 3.0 build thread.

11K views 127 replies 15 participants last post by  phatspeed7x 
#1 ·
Well I finally paid off my 2004 Mustang GT. This year I have some plans for it. Top priority is to get it running properly again.

Last summer I installed a set of CMS stage 2 NA cams, and I've been battling motor issues ever since. Pretty sure the valve guides in my heads are gacked, and a head swap in set up for this spring time. I bought a set of used PI head from my buddy who did a 4V swap on his 1999 GT. I know the valve covers are different and he's including them with the heads. I'll have to get a head gasket kit for a 1999 GT I know (it has mostly new gaskets but it's been apart a couple time since the first install, and would just rather put new stuff in there).

Also have a set of used bbk long tube headers with a matching X pipe I'm buying from another buddy who is doing a On 3 turbo build.

The ultimate goal is to make a reliable 300rwhp summer toy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#16 ·
TBTH you might save money and headache by picking up a low mileage Vic/Marquis/Towncar engine, swapping your cams while both are out of the car and then just dropping it back in. No headgaskets, no hardware to buy and you can sell off the old engine/parts to make most or all of your $$$ back. Crank is worth $100, people will buy the pistons and rods for $100, block for $100, ganked heads that are rebuildable cores are $100 and then you can sell the used PI intake for $100 and probably another $50-$100 for misc parts. That right there will make a new-used engine cost neutral if you do all the work. These engines are easy to change out honestly.

#17 ·
Or swap to 4V like your buddy did IMO. Still lower mileage running Mark engines out there if you are willing to look and do a "reasonable" road trip. Won't be cost neutral but if your buddy has done the swap then you'll have all the info of what he needed right there and the 4V, even with B heads makes a lot more power and will rev to the moon vs running out of air like PI heads can. There are also the Continental C headed engines which are DIRT cheap if you can find a good bellhousing adapter or have a competent shop make one.

#18 ·
Going to just do the head swap since I already got the heads and gasket sets. Just need head bolts, and some other parts. Waiting for the snow to melt still. Can't even get the car out of the garage yet. Plus my buddy still needs to get his car over to the shop so we can yank out the transmission and have it rebuilt. Then get his turbo kit installed.

I start a new job Monday so hopefully a steady stream of income starts so I can start making real progress on the car.

#19 · (Edited)
Lol nice, yeah I hear that going the easy way. Going to make good power and I bet it sounds badass. You can also do a quickie DIY valvejob while the new/used heads are out as well since the 2V spring removal tool is so cheap if you really wanted to. Just get the stock head bolts. Seriously. People lose their minds over the ARP stuff when the Terminator guys are pushing past the limits of the Zollner pistons on the stock hardware and blow out the top ring lands before anything else lets go. Plus the TTY stuff does provide amazing clamping tension and is CHEAP.

You also need different size front cover bolts for where they thread into the heads I THINK... I can't remember but I'm almost positive you do. Windsors are a little different with the hardware and the valve covers obviously which you have... well... covered lol. Also props for not being scared of the Windsor heads, I'm having a tough time GIVING mine away because ppl think Romeos make more power or something. Only Romeos that are better are the 04-10 heads because of the 8 thread plugs and if the person doing the plugs uses a torque wrench its not an issue with the 4 thread heads.

#21 ·
That's because you live up in Meeenisoooddaa eh?

#25 ·
Lol, that type of stuff isn't even going on mine. Good deal with the longtubes tho. You gonna do the K while its out?

#30 ·
Going to pick up the new used heads tomorrow night from my buddy. They were only paid for 6 months ago. Getting the head, and valve covers. They came off his 1999 GT with only 70K on the motor. He bought the whole car about a year ago with a spun rod bearing. He rebuilt the motor, and did a 4V head swap. Then added a On 3 75mm turbo kit. It made 425HP/450FTLB on 7lb of boost last year.

Also emailed Don at LaSota racing about a custom tune for the Mustang. Don't feel like running BAMA tunes anymore...

#31 ·
Hopefully I can get the car, and the parts over to the shop in the next week or two. Perfect Performance has been very busy building circle track motors.

My buddy finally got his 01 GT back to his house. Turbo kit is intalled, and the new 3650 trans installed. Was going to upload a base tune Sunday, but he ordered the wrong cable for his old old programmer. I haven't seen a serial port on anything in a long *** time. That's how old his programmer is. LOL

#32 ·
Drive the Mustang over to my buddies shop. He's finishing a 1992 fox convertible with a 331 stroker with a Vortex supercharger. Once that one is finished mine will go up on the rack.

I ordered new or sensors and extensions for my headers. They should be here in a couple days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.