Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Convertible Top Help

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jdomke1 
#1 ·
I just bought this 98 GT convertible off a guy who replaced the top himself. While not terribly done I will need to fix some of it. The one thing I noticed missing right off is the screw on strip that covers all the ugly staples on the front of the top. I'm referring to the section that connects to the windshield. He says it was never there. Apart from looking ugly I'm pretty sure it's needed for a proper seal. Water is coming in at the front of the passenger side window. I can't find the part anywhere and a large part of that is not knowing what to call it. I've talked with CJ Pony parts, the guys who did the video walk through of replacing the top and he doesn't refer to it by any name I can look up. When I called them they said the part isn't made by anyone so either eBay or the junkyard. Hard to lookup on eBay when you don't know the name. Any suggestions? I've also got the top not operating. It's very hard to push down or pull up. I swear I hear the motor spinning as we put it up or down. If the hydraulic was bad it would move fast so the system is still sealed. Nothing in Haynes about the top at all. My thoughts are fuse, switch, relays, motor... then what? Suggestions for pinpointing it quickly so I don't waste time?

#2 ·
Got no idea what I did. I pull the connector at the motor and tested with my multi-meter. Each pin was getting 12v when I pressed the convertible switch. So, I plugged it back in and to my amazement it started working. Glad I talked the guy down $500 and it was just a loose connection.

#3 ·
If you are referring to the top weather stripping, you can get a whole set here. Might as well replace them all on an almost 20 year old vehicle. I'm getting these for mine soon

1994-2000 Ford Mustang Convertible Front Center & Rear Complete Side Rail Weatherstrip Kit - Weatherstrip - 1994-2004 Mustang

Did you check the fluid level for the top hydraulic system? My cylinders were leaking bad, so I replace them and added new fluid. Mine also had a new top and new ones are tight for awhile until the stretch a little. Took mine a year before it would get easy to latch down when closing it. You can look down inside the rear inner fender right behind the rear window and see if your cylinders are leaking.

#4 ·
Got the top working. All I did was disconnect the motor and test the pins for voltage. Both tested good when I pressed the button. Reconnected the connectors and the top now works. I was able to get that part I needed from the local junk yard. I had to take entire front bow because I couldn't get the T-10 bolts off. My tool was garbage and they needed a little JB on them to help. Now I just need to get the top reconnected. The guy who did this did a crap job. The side panels were never even installed into the weatherstripping rails. Just loose. Half the back trim screws were missing and several of those weird nuts inside were missing too. Went back to junkyard and grabbed as many screws, bolts and nuts I could from 4 or 5 convertibles they had. I'm going back again this weekend to grab the nice back speakers now. I didn't think they would work but I've got the connectors so I'll try. Figured out the rear window defroster too. Just needed the button in the dash and the connectors. The plugs are already there and it works. Thankfully I put my car cover on because it poured like crazy and my back seat would be a lake right now while I've got the top apart.

#5 ·
Now the top is completely redone correctly. Only issue is one of those side metal straps with spring that hold down the side flap. One worked fine the other was broken at the end hat attaches to the flap. Got a new one. What a bugger to install inside the window well. Hard to reach with wrench and harder to put back on. Anyhow, the new one broke too. This time it broke at the attachment bolt as I was trying to attach the other end to the flap. Not sure what to do now. Way too much work for something like this. Any ideas or suggestions for keeping that flap secure without going through the entire process again?

#6 ·
Somehow I got confused with all the weatherstripping and inadvertently took off the rubber stick on stuff that goes between the bar and vinyl. Any ideas what to replace with?

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Got that strap on finally after several hours fighting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.