Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Power Seat Woes

939 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  jdomke1 
#1 ·
My drivers power seat is sounding like it's on it's last leg. Slow to move in and direction. The only way to get all way back is to sit in it and give pressure back while wiggling the switch front to back. Motor(s) bad or just need some tlc and perhaps lube? What's the process?

#3 ·
You can try that. If not... replace with a manual rack. Much lighter, nothing to break, never worry about it getting stuck. Although... I set mine once in my cars with the power seat and never mess with it. So if it breaks... I'll probably never notice lol.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I spent most of my weekend at the junk yard pulling screws and bolts from various convertible tops after realizing the idiot who put the replacement top on left most off and installed the kit horribly. I'll get on the seat issue right after I get the top put on correctly. I also found a weird wire behind the back seat that doesn't go to the power top motor but ends up right nearby. I looked at three in the junk yard and none of them had this wire. It's a black plastic coated wire, with white plastic sleeve, then stripped off to reveal one solid copper wire. I'll get a photo and post in a separate posting but it makes no sense. Three other mustangs with back seat out show nothing even close to where this wire comes from or goes to.

#6 ·
I don't think so. One of the cars we looked at this weekend had two amps in the back, on either side of the convertible motor. They each had their own two-wire harness that was part of the main wire harness on either side of the back. This is just one solid wire, look sorta like a coax cable stripped back, with the same type sheathing and all. Only goes to the drivers side wire harness towards the back but the wire comes up towards the motor and stops. I'll grab a photo later on when I get back out working on it. I was hoping to figure it out this weekend since I looked in the back of at least 3-4 stang convertibles and not one had this weird wire.

#8 ·
I figured it out. It's attached to the remote keyless system. It must be missing whatever end there originally was. Attached are the pics of the wire along with the origination. There's a couple other items back there I'm not sure of. What belongs on the side facing into the trunk? What's the red button thing in the other photos? What do I need to get the keyless system back to life? No remote but obviously a receiver there.

Attachments

#10 ·
It's a '98. The part says anti-theft. Any idea what the cable end is supposed to look like since mine seems to be missing something.

#12 ·
The junk yard helped solving the question. Out of all the six convertibles there, only one had anti theft. The rest were just remote locks. That's why the panel says anti theft. Anyhow, on the one with an antenna like mine it just had electric tape around the end and attached along the back cross bar above the convertible motor. The car didn't come with any remotes so I bought a couple and now having a bugger of a time programming them. I put the key in to run position then jump the two wires. The doors lock then unlock to indicate programming mode. I press the buttons on the new remotes and get nothing. The other weird thing is that removing the key doesn't cause the doors to lock then unlock indicating it's out of programming mode. Either way, after sever tries I've given up. I have no rain for a couple days so I hope to get that seat out and check the motors. Any suggestions for good seat covers or replacement upholstery? The garbage on the seats now is Dickies cheapo brand that covers up the seat levers and seat belt harnesses.

#13 ·
Got lucky at pick n pull the other day. An '02 convertible just came and I was able to grab the front and back seats, all leather with pony. Power driver seat has different plug but was able to modify with help of online forum. The tan is a little lighter than my existing saddle tan but I'm willing to live with it. Now I have fully functional power seat and nice untorn leather with pony.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.