Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What is up with my rear end

2K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  straybullitt 
#1 ·
Car has 10in sve drifts on the back and they wit wayy to far inside the fender. Then i took em off and noticed spacers and the stabilizer shocks were removed. Wondering if the rear end doesnt belong in this car and what the tell tell signs are that its a fox or sn95 rear end

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
It seems like i got an sn95 rear end since the wheels stick inside about 3/4in more than my mach. I got two options here, either get some spacers or somehow find a wrecked gt rear end

#14 ·
I found a mach 1 rear end for $200 without the brakes. Question here is can i take the drilled and slotted rotors with the calipers from this setup and put it on the mach rear end and will an sn95 control arm work with the mach rear end

#19 ·
I am currently in the middle of re building my rear end and I was doing some research and came across this little while ago. The only difference really between the sn95 rear ends and the new edge rear ends is that 99-04 axles are a bit longer. I'm sure you can just change your axles out for the proper axles and that there should give you your length back. Just another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#20 ·
I've read that also. I've also read that there is indeed a difference in the axle tube length, and swapping the longer axles can cause brake caliper alignment problems as well as a problem with the way that the bearing fits on the axle.
I would definitely do some careful measuring before pursuing that option.

#25 ·
Okay i was just wondering if the sn95 rear end conversion affected the driveshaft in anyway but apparently it doesnt im still kinda baffled that a car with 24,000 original miles would need a "new" rear end tho

#27 ·
So i picked up the new rear end today off my first mach 1 and it didnt come with quad shocks, control arms, or the brakes. Its been sitting for lord knows how long and the studs have some surface rust on em. So while the rear end is off of the car what should i do to it thats fairly cheep? I already know im putting new gear oil in it with a new gasket. Also does it matter how the driveshaft is connected to the rear end or is that the transmission to driveshaft that matters what position its in

#28 ·
Picked up the new rear today and its kinda dirty anybody know what products i should use to clean it up? It has some surface rust around the studs. Also the dif cover is silver which i didnt think mach 1s had factory and also whats the best stuff to put inside the dif

#30 ·
Use Simple Green and scrub off the grime, then use a wire wheel on a drill to remove the surface rust. Then your choice of a good durable paint will keep it nice looking and easy to clean.
The differential cover is made of aluminum.

While it is out of the car, you should inspect the control arm bushings that are pressed into the top of the differential housing. If they need to be replaced, there is no easier time than while the rear end is removed from the car.

#32 ·
Anybody have any idea if it matters what position i bolt the driveshaft up to the new rear end? Ive seen on a couple of videos and install guides of people marking where the driveshaft and rear end connect with some sort of pen.

#33 ·
It is good practice to mark the drive shaft prior to removal to avoid any driveline related vibration being caused by installing it in a different position than it was previously.
In your case, it doesn't make any difference how it is installed, since the rear end is a replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#36 ·
So just did the swap and everything went smoothly but at the very end the ebrake cable would only go back onto the spring on one side it didnt matter what side i put it on the other side was too short even with the spring compressed. What is wrong here or am i doing something incorrectly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.