Mustang Evolution Forum banner

60mph Steering Wheel vibration

9K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  ab_mach1 
#1 ·
Okay so I have a 03 mustang , and I've developed a steering wheel vibration @ 60-70 Mph on the highway.

Shakes just like a unbalanced tire would do , but it gets slightly worse when slightly turning the wheel left or right.

I've replaced the tires up front , inner / outer tie rod ends + alignment , ball joints have been replaced, even the sway bar end links.

I've checked the wheels for play and I don't feel anything.

I cannot think of anything else to do to help.. I've balanced the tires a few times..

Only thing I can think of is off set rack bushings , maybe the angle of the tie rods ? Or road force balance the tires ?

Any input would be great.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 · (Edited)
'05 S197 wheel shake at 60-80MPH

same thing happened after tie rod end replacement, then did lower control arm assemblies, then struts and mounts, every time fresh alignments, 3 different wheel/tire combos, multiple re-balancings. Just did the hub/bearing assemblies, even though no play, and viola...gone. apparently they failed inside, had minor whum, whum noise, guess what, that's gone too!:cool:

#12 ·
I did the motorcrafts...negotiated well with the dealer....153/hub and 187.50 labor..HAPPY! A non-dealer shop quoted 615, I'm sure they would end up higher. Don't forget, FORD says nut and dust cap are a one-time use part, nut "stretches", cap will break unless VERY CAUTIOUS, even then it may crack (plasticish on 2005s)

#16 ·
Has happened to me in multiple cars. Fix is new A arms or replace the A arm bushings.

#17 ·
Found the issue , put the tires back on the balancer.. found alot of " hop " so I broke down the tires spun them 180 degrees, and noticed it didn't hop as bad.. drove it later and noticed the shake was almost gone! Defective tires where the issue the whole time lol.. now if I can get them to be covered under the warranty. I'll have to see tomorrow.thanks for the input everyone.
If they won't cover them then I'll be going to get a road force balance.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.