Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Adjusting cams on a 2v

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Bgrimes1 
#1 ·
My apologies if this has been covered before. I looked for something on here for a while but no luck. I am installing a set of Comp Cam stage 3 cams on a set of factory heads and when I go to degree then in I want to know what is the best way to go for the cam gears. I haven't personally done one on the OHV engines before and I have heard of everything from grinding off the locator slot on the cams to getting adjustable gears. What is the best way to do them when I go to do the swap? Thanks all in advance. I will also be upgrading the springs and retainers at the same time. Currently have Long tube headers, Typhoon intake, BBK throttle body and 4:10 gears. Thanks in advance.

Rob Smith
03 Mustang GT

#3 ·
There are two ways to adjust the timing with the gears. You can use either adjustable crankshaft gears, or adjustable camshaft gears. The crankshaft gears are the least expensive option, allowing limited adjustability of BOTH cams together. The more expensive adjustable camshaft gears allow complete independent adjustability of the cams, for truly fine tuning the camshaft timing of each camshaft, allowing corrections to be made for machining differences during the manufacturing process.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response. I've heard of a few people not liking the adjustable cam gears due to them not keeping the adjustments made to them. I read somewhere earlier about removing either partially or completely the keyway on the cams to allow to adjust with stock style gears. I was wondering what thoughts are on that technique?

Rob Smith
03 Mustang GT

#5 ·
That would certainly be a low-budget option, but I suspect that there would also be a potential for the cams to become out of time, being that the keyway is gone.
Personally, I would opt for doing adjustable gears of some sort. And, as always, you typically get what you pay for when buying high performance parts. The timing components can be expensive for modular engines, but buying the best that you can afford is rarely cause for regret.

#8 ·
Take it from someone that did cams in my car. Order them from a good company other than comp. You'll need to check out Cushman motorsports or modular head shop. Both offer a degree service that is spot on and no guessing. When you order cams from them and get the degree service, they set them up, make adjustments and then lock in the right degree timing. All that is left for you to do is basically an OEM swap. It was that simple for mine. They mark where to put the dark link of the chain on both the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket. Literally line them up and follow the instructions for a OEM replacement. It took me 2 days to do the cams, valve seals, new lash adjusters, new GT supercar followers, new springs, and a bunch of other goodies.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 ·
TFS crank gears, degree service from MHS or Cushman, call it a day. Also your Comp "stage 3" cams (270s right?) might not clear stock pistons. Going to be real tight. I'd go with Cushman cams.

#13 ·
All this bad stuff I am hearing about comp cams is ruining my day. I already have the cams. Got them as a gift for some work I did for a small store that my friend owns. Maybe I keep them on the shelf until I can get some trick flow heads that have more clearance for them. That or I'll try to sell them to someone. Thanks to all who gave input.

Rob Smith
03 Mustang GT

#16 ·
270s will need valve reliefs. Best bet is to sell them and get correct cams for stock pistons. Just get the Cushman stage 2 NA cams with degree service and the TFS crank gears plus do the valvesprings. You just install them. Getting TFS heads... you might as well just get a supercharger at that point for the $$$.

#17 ·
I'm actually planning on a new bottom end and doing a supercharger setup within a year or two. I am trying to do a similar build that I did with a lightning but spreading it out and trying different companies this time. I know I've said thanks a few times already but I really do appreciate getting others thoughts and opinions to help figure out what direction to go with these damn comp cam cams.

Rob Smith
03 Mustang GT

#18 ·
Price it all the way out. Full build, power adder, fuel, suspension, labor etc... plus the cost of the car probably is going to be in the $20k range. That'll get you a Terminator or Coyote with pretty good miles.

#22 ·
I'm running comp xe268h cams and there is no issues. Their are a couple ways to go about getting the valve reliefs for the stage 3 cams to completely fit. I've heard of some people making small reliefs in the Pistons themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.