Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Water, Water, and More Water

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Revvv 
#1 ·
I have fought with condensation in my headlights (RTV cured this), Water collecting in the rear spoiler, and water literally filling the inside of my passenger side tag light housing.

The tag light housing truly baffles me. I sealed the light to the truck lid using RTV and the housing still filled with water.

I refuse to give up that easy, so I ordered a new pair of tag light housings with new gaskets and clips. I made sure that everything was sealed tight by coating the connector that plugs into the housing with dielectric grease (that is what I had in my hands when I swapped the rusty bulbs).

Last night it rained, and again the passenger side tag light housing has water inside. At this point I am truly baffled. My only guess is that water is seeping past the 3rd brake light housing, but I can't figure out how it is collecting in ONE tag light and not the other.

...and the wing is still filling with water. The only holes are on the underside of the mounting surface.

This is a 2002 GT convertible. I expect some odd things to go wrong, but this thing is trying to become a swimming pool.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
That is so weird with the rear spoiler! How can you tell there is water inside the wing?
Have you removed the third brake light to investigate the area above the license plate? Seems like that's about the only way water could get in without the car moving, other than just condensate during certain weather conditions. I had to replace my plate lights within the last year or two. Mine looked to be a heat related problem though.

#8 ·
I just walked outside to look at the new tag light housings. The passenger side is full of water again. It's impressive to be honest. It rained less than half an inch.

If it continues to do this I will RTV the socket to the housing. If water finds a way in after that I will call it an aquarium and be done.

#9 ·
It has been raining since last night. I am hoping to see clean housings that are free from water.

If water gets past the dielectric grease I have the housing connector coated in, the next step in to RTV the socket to the housing. If water gets past that....

I have no idea what I will do at that point yet.

#10 ·
I kind of like the aquarium idea!
And water in the spoiler isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure, it adds a little weight, but it is weight at the very rear of the car... For additional traction! And it also serves as a supply of emergency water. It could save somebody's life one day!

#12 ·
Revvvv.. I have a solution. Not going to 110% guarantee it, but try it.

As you know I work at a dealership. It's a GMC/Buick dealer..
GM's are TERRIBLE about waterleaks: roof, lights, rear hatches, antennas and so on..

So you need to goto a GM dealership, I recommend GMC..

Goto the parts department and get a tube of grey silicone/RTV/engine sealant.. if you can text me tomorrow I will get you a part number!

The **** is absolutely incredible, we have had transmissions with cracked cases that we have sealed using it.

It's very very strong stuff..

Also why you are there get a can of "heat valve lubricant" it's basically used like WD-40 but it's the best you can get, it will break anything loose, and it also cleans good tooo..

Lastly get a can of "top engine cleaner" we use it a lot cleaning areas where sludge and carbon build ups are common like throttle bodies, intakes and heads.

All of those are AC DELCO brand.

Again text me tomorrow I'll get you part numbers, you will be shocked how well all 3 work

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#15 ·
This isn't clear, it's grey, but can you not tell where it's leaking from? Best way to check is run a hose over the roof and sit in side and look close around the tracks and everything.

Drains are usually stopped up and you gotta be careful blowing air thru cause they get very brittle over time

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#18 ·
Update - since adding a bit of electrical grease around the bulb insert on the tag light housing no water has invaded the tag light housing.

The rear spoiler is still a water tank. I sat down and looked over every inch of the trunk lid. The only way condensation can get into the wing is through the rubber grommets on the far back of the trunk that covers the spoiler bolts. I emptied the wing and sealed the plugs with grease as an experiment.

#24 ·
I have 2 girls in school, both parents are disabled and sickly, and my wife takes care of her grandparents. That basically comes in as 6 children. Lol.

My Mustang is a personal escape. I enjoy going out just to mess with things. I get to build different configurations in my mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.