Mustang Evolution Forum banner

4v swap into 2002 roush

6K views 67 replies 9 participants last post by  69ponyxprs 
#1 ·
I know its probably been covered somewhere but im interested in seeing how easy it would be to swap either a 04 mach 1 engine or a 03/04 cobra motor into my car.

#6 ·
For a 4V swap you'll want the engine harness or you'll have to modify the 2V harness. You will need the throttle and cruise cables out of a 4V car as well. Your 2V computer can be tuned to run a 4V motor or you can swap a 4V computer but you will either need to have the PATS deleted or swap in the ignition switch out of the 4V car. If you go with a terminator engine your transmission won't be too happy (if it's a 3650 or a T45).

#8 ·
Passive Anti-Theft System. These keys use chips to read that they are the correct key for the vehicle, so if you swap in a different computer that's coded to a different key it will think you are trying to steal the car when you use the key for your car.

#11 ·
Does anybody know how difficult swapping a 5.4 out of a navigator would be? Im seeing that they make pretty good power with a boss intake and i can find a good engine for like a grand

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#19 ·
Navi engines are more trouble than they are worth and the intake ports are effing HUGE with tiny exhaust ports. Heads are setup specifically for a truck.

Try to find a Mark VIII engine with low miles if possible and then run it as a B headed 4.6L or swap on some Continental C heads (cheap) and 96-98 or 99 Cobra cams and there you go.

You can run a 4V with the 2V computer just fine, just needs a tune and a few things in the harness changed (COP wires extended and polarity swapped and some sensors extended).

I'm going to try to get my 4V in my 2V Steeda Mustang this summer or I'm gonna have to part it and not be able to take it with me to Europe... :(

#21 · (Edited)
Not exactly unique... And all depends on the engine setups. Got bone stock engine terminators with a Kenne Bell making 600+ and that is a 4.6L. These engines need boost to make big power. 4.6L vs 5.4L kinda goes out the window when you throw good power adders into the mix.

You are also going to be adding a solid 100-150lbs of weight to the front of your car doing this vs going with an iron 5.4L block vs an aluminum 4.6L block which you can get for $150-$300.

#24 ·
Well... I was trying to be nice about it... lol.

Iron block, truck cams, truck heads...

You want to make power NA you won't make it with a modular, period. Not without a TON of $$$$ and work and then a basic bolt on 4.6L with a blower or nitrous will push your butthole in at the track. Coyote swap it or LS swap it or if you have a 94/95 donor car do a 408 but at that point you might as well do a LS swap vs any pushrod Ford.

#25 ·
Im not trying to make the most amount of power ever, i know that other setups would beat it but i wanna have a unique swap that makes a decent amount of power and that would look good under the engine bay since the car is a show car not a race car.

The navigator motor is a piece of junk. You want a good looking engine go LSX if not build the 4.6. Stay away from the navigator

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#30 ·
Mainly throw plugs because dudes do the plugs and don't use a torque wrench. Either too lazy or "torque wrenches are for girls" mentality or something... I dunno.

#34 ·
Its a decent performer when setup right. With the Navi heads it won't be tho. Like I said, HUGE intake ports and tiny exhaust ports plus all the weight on the nose.

But... you do you... I'd suggest more research tho.

#35 ·
I'd go old school lol. Pick up a pushrod Ford Performance 347 or fins an older 351 engine. Buy your parts from summit racing and make it look like a classic Mustang under the hood. THAT would be something different and still be decent power (plenty for me anyways lol).

#36 ·
Nah screw that. Will never go back to the pushrod personally. 4.6L=no ****ing paper gaskets, oil leaking, paper mache block, easier to tune, no distributor etc...

#37 ·
Now i know its kinda random but im interested in a coyote swap. My buddy has an engine with a transmission for 1.8k but obviously i wouldnt use the mt82. I could practically pick up the motor for free since i already got a 2k offer on the 2v thats inside my car. Question is should i spend the 4-6k that itll cost to buy all the swap parts and have them installed? Car is already gotta have it green and has the gen 5 tail lights so wouldnt a coyote be right at home lol

#38 ·
Engine and trans out of a coyote mustang for $1800 means your buddy is an idiot or something is wrong with it. And if you are paying labor it's gonna get expensive fast.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.