Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What 4.6 engine fit?

28K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  DeathApache 
#1 ·
Hi guys, My engine threw a rod and I have to replace the engine, now the question is what kind of engines can I put in my car, it's a mustang gt 2003. Being in a budget, what kind of vehicle engine can I put in it? I already have the engine out and taken apart. I heard the crown Vic wold fit but what year do you guys recommend? Because I know other engines are a lot cheaper than the actual mustang engine, any help would be appreciated?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
Any 4.6 out of a crown Vic will fit but you will need to swap intake manifolds and the front dress. I don't remember the years off the top of my head but the 4.6 up until at least 98 was a NPI motor. The F150 also got a 4.6 but they aren't as common as the crown vic was

#3 ·
Well I was looking at one engine it was a crown Vic, it was a 2011 with all the PI package with 69k for $900 bucks but I'm not sure if this year would be good for my stang or if it's too new or if I need to do to many modifications

#5 · (Edited)
any 4.6 will fit except a 4v & it will fit but you gotta change computer , 99 up for the better heads & intake , You could put a 5.4 in also , would need adapter plates to use 4.6 intakes , cost about $300 basically the same motor , uses same pistons as 4.6 , block is a little taller due to the longer stroke , lots of low end torque, but since your on a budget not a good option for you , shouldnt have a problem finding a good 2v 4.6 , salvage yards have plenty

#8 ·
How did the installation go? Did you have to do a lot of mods? What upgrades did you do to it after the engine. I just found another engine close by, it is a crown Vic 2010 it's got the police interceptor for like $800 and it's got I think 45k i may get that next week, what I'm wondering is if I have to do anything with the computer or any mods that I don't know of

#10 ·
Do you guys know what are the specs on this vehicles? I heard that almost got the same HP than the mustang gt? This is my first engine swap so I'm curious because I don't want to spend money on an engine that has a lot less HP than my mustang

#13 ·
Guys, all the PI engines are the same. Yes I know about the Windsor/Romeo slight differences... You want to use a Panther 2V in your Mustang? Get a PI (2001-up) from one and swap your mustang stuff over and drop it in. Done. Recommend a 2004-up as those had the 8 thread plugs. Do not recommend any cop car engines, tons of idle time on those. Best bet is a Marquis or Towncar engine from a 2004-up as those are 99% owned by old ppl and have never seen over 3K RPM.

#24 ·
A 3V would work but is expensive to swap in, it's better to just go to a 4V.

Ok so let me explain better myself, I'm trying to put an engine without doing to many mods to it, also wn engine that has the same or better HP than the one my mustang had, what are the suggestions that you guys have? A crown Vic may be out of the equation, I saw on one of the post that I can use a 5.4l 2v

A PI Crown Vic motor will work just fine for you. You can always look up engi e specs if you want but they're all the same power. If you're stuck on a drop in motor go find one out of a 99-04 and call it a day. I would avoid a 5.4 swap because that's gonna require more work to drop in than a Crown Vic motor would.

#23 ·
Ok so let me explain better myself, I'm trying to put an engine without doing to many mods to it, also wn engine that has the same or better HP than the one my mustang had, what are the suggestions that you guys have? A crown Vic may be out of the equation, I saw on one of the post that I can use a 5.4l 2v

#25 ·
Again, just get a 04-10 2V from a Vic/Marquis/Towncar with low mileage for $500 and drop it directly in.

Spend your mod money on tune/4.10s/suspension/exhaust. That is where the most benefit is. Don't be yet another "all bolt on" 2V rolling around on stock suspension and tires that can't hook for **** and rides like crap.

#26 ·
Hey I got a 2001 police intercepted motor n going put it n my 96mustang gt I know I got change the manifold and intake what else will u have to change the guy who's putting my motor n for me said I had change the flywheel is that true please help me out n tell me what all the things I got change I think he trying get more money from me u can text my cell 606-594-6443 thank u

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.