Mustang Evolution Forum banner

'02 GT Daytime Running Lights

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a 2002 US GT (meaning, not one built for sale in Canada) is pre-wired for daytime running lights? If so, in order to use/get them to work, is it simply a matter of purchasing and plugging in the DRL module (which I see there's at least two or three currently available on Rock Auto)?

I have for almost my entire life driven with my headlamps on during daylight hours, for safety reasons. However, I recently purchased a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX touchscreen radio for my '02 GT, and I connected the orange illumination wire to the car's headlamp circuit, because I want it to dim when the headlamps are turned on, just like the factory radio did. This does make it a bit difficult to see the display during the day, plus the radio supports Android Auto, and if I'm using Google Navigation (which displays on the radio's touchscreen), turning the headlamps on causes the map to go into night mode (it darkens). So, if my car is already wired to use DRLs, with the simple addition of the DRL module, I figured that'd be the easiest way to still have my headlamps on during the day, while not dimming the radio display.

Anyone know anything about this; if it's even possible?

Thanks,

Dennis

See less See more
#6 ·
Daylight Running Lights

Your best bet may be to purchase and install an aftermarket DRL module. I have a Hamsar DRL module on my 95 GT that I installed several years ago. The unit works great. The low beam lights come on when I turn the ignition on. The dash lights, parking lights, or tail lights do not come on. When I turn the headlights on, they work normally, and the DRL's do not interfere with their operation.

As I recall, one wire connected to the low beam headlight, one wire to a hot wire from the ignition, and one wire to ground. Very simple to hook up and in my experience works great. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.