Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Ok, need to get this damn thing running ASAP

2K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 · (Edited)
3 months to get the Steeda going or its getting parted.

Plz motivate me lol. Also I need to figure out which direction I want to go with this car. Really starting to think of just dropping a higher compression NA 2V in it with some cams and valvesprings and just rolling.

Have the IRS basically ready to go back in, have had to put a lot of other stuff in life on hold to get all the paperwork and doctors appts etc... done to get my overseas stuff finalized.

#5 · (Edited)
What should motivate you, is the countless times you have been indecisive on what your going to do. Take the most feasible idea and run with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Truth... problem I have with life in general is decisiveness...

Most feasible thing is probably a NA 2V and roll.

I'm also not going to have easy access to parts and cheap labor over there either so it needing to be dead nuts reliable for 4 years is also a factor.

#7 ·
After thinking about it, why not just put all the stock parts back on and call it a day? What do the Steeda's produce...in the mid 400hp range with the stock supercharger..? If you already had a driveshaft, I'd say stick the IRS in, otherwise skip it. Sell off everything else and enjoy the Mustang overseas. When you come back to the states, you can make some serious plans for the Steeda.

#9 ·
Made an excel sheet with all the stuff I have and still need and what I can sell stuff for. Actually makes the most sense financially to put the 4V in. I have everything for it minus a TB, throttle cable, cruise cable, $100 Terminator injectors and some coolant hoses.

Raptinator is right, I need to just stick with a plan and ****ing do it.

And yeah, talking to ppl who have been to Europe, a New Edge there is like a real Skyline over here. And not like a dog**** R32 beat to hell Skyline that is still RHD...

#11 ·
Sounds like you have your plan, get that 4v setup together and in your car. Full steam ahead, no excuses.

#18 ·
If you take the car to Europe, check your country laws on smog control. Supposedly, many years ago, when I lived in Germany, the auto inspectors checked the exhaust for compliance. I never heard of an American car failing that test back then, but would not want that 'surprise.'

#20 ·
If you want to play it safe, just drop in whatever engine will be easiest to get running NA and don't worry about the Novi .... until you get to Spain or wherever you are going.

Or .... get Mustang running, sell Mustang and parts, buy C5 and take it with you.

Or ... get Mustang running, sell Mustang and parts, buy cool car that is not available in the states and experience something new.

Or .. buy motorcycle.

Or .. trade Mustang for giant Ford Excursion with 7.3L diesel and take it over there and hopefully pass emissions and then enjoy having one of the largest passenger type vehicles in the country.

I'm no help.

#22 ·
If you want to play it safe, just drop in whatever engine will be easiest to get running NA and don't worry about the Novi .... until you get to Spain or wherever you are going.

Or .... get Mustang running, sell Mustang and parts, buy C5 and take it with you.

Or ... get Mustang running, sell Mustang and parts, buy cool car that is not available in the states and experience something new.

Or .. buy motorcycle.

Or .. trade Mustang for giant Ford Excursion with 7.3L diesel and take it over there and hopefully pass emissions and then enjoy having one of the largest passenger type vehicles in the country.

I'm no help.

I like the last choice

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#21 ·
Lol the roads in Europe are too small even for my Expedition... Dudes get lifted pickups and **** shipped over there and then hate life trying to get around.

And if I'm gonna get it running might as well be with the Novi I figure. I can skip the intercooler and just run like 6lbs of boost or something and take the intercooler with me to screw with later on down the road.

Only thing with the 4V I am still debating is whether I want to do the timing advance/degree that all 4.6Ls really need or just leave the cams on the factory marks. Not hurting anything on the factory marks but losing a solid 20ft lbs or so especially with the 99 intake cams (202 duration) I have. More of a budget thing there for the 4 cloyes gears plus the passenger secondary tensioner mod.

And I need to take a vehicle with me or I won't have any authorization to ship something back. 4-8 years (if I extend) is a long time, I might find something crazy over there I can bring back with me and don't want to have to pay for it to bring it back if the AF will do it for free.

#23 ·
Last choice is actually really bad for Europe. Some of the roads over there in towns you legit cannot take big trucks down. Lots of sad ******* military stationed overseas that find this out the hard way lol.

In other news, grabbed a 99 Cobra throttle cable/bracket for $100 shipped and looking at an OEM 4V throttle body for $50 shipped. After I get those I just need random hoses and **** to get the swap done. And maybe the 4V coolant crossover will need modified to clear the blower. I have an OEM one from a 96 engine I parted.

Need to see what the budget has for me doing the 4 cloyes gears and the passenger secondary tensioner mod. I'm half tempted to just drop the 99 Cobra cams in with the factory marks and just leave it. Or even just leave the Lincoln cams in there. Machs and Termis both had the Lincoln cams and do fine... though the Termi has help lol.

#27 ·
Last choice is actually really bad for Europe. Some of the roads over there in towns you legit cannot take big trucks down. Lots of sad ******* military stationed overseas that find this out the hard way lol.
Ya .. that was meant to be a joke .. not sure if it came off that way. I had a friend who tried taking his crew cab/long bed F250 to Europe for his military deployment even after everyone told him not to. It was WAY more of a pain for him than anything else. He ended up having it shipped back (I think on his own dime) because it was basically unusable with their emissions testing and it didn't fit down many streets in towns/cities. He ended up buying an Audi S4 and fell in love with them.

Good to see you are actually getting stuff accomplished with this. It's been long enough, I'm ready to see a burnout video of this mythical Steeda Mustang.

#24 · (Edited)
OEM TB got from FB group for $50 shipped. Where I got the throttle cable/bracket for $100 as well

edited for TL/DR. Too much coffee today...

Long story short, making progress.

#26 ·
I can get you the contact info on that guy on FB if you want. $650 brand new with all the fixes plus core/charge. There are guys selling secondhand ones that "shift perfect" for $500 all the time on the 4V Mustang parts and New Edge parts groups but the new one for $650 is as good a deal as you'll find IMO.

And as far as progress... yeah... Getting there. Lot of organizing and garage cleaning out and taking inventory of what parts I actually have. Turns out parting those 4V Cobra engines I did a year or so ago was a really good thing. Have a LOT of small parts that would nickel/dime me to death otherwise.

Just need to get all the extra stuff sold/scrapped and then decide if I'm going to mess with the cams while the engine is out or not and also if I'm going to intercool or not. Keeping it right at 400hp with a huge *** fluidyne rad in weather that never gets out of the 80s I probably do not need to intercool.

#29 ·
Still needs a rebuild if it's making that much noise. Probably input shaft bearing.

In other news... **** control arms...

Anyone with an IRS... Get the Full Tilt Boogie removal tools or just don't even try... Holy ****...

And the uppers are the easy ones. Lowers on Saturday on a workbench and a full growler to drink while doing it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

#30 ·
Throttle body arrived, low mileage 39# terminator injectors ordered, 4V throttle cable arrived, have to run out to the store today to get bolts for the bushing removal kit for the IRS because the stupid bushings are so hard to get out that the grade 8 bolts stripped halfway through...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.