Mustang Evolution Forum banner

No start= single click with no power

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  andya 
#1 ·
Alright guys wife drove the gt to work today and now it won't start. It is a 2004 gt 5 speed. When you turn the key to the On Postition everything is fine. When you turn the key over without pressing clutch everything is normal. Then when you press clutch and turn the key to start you hear one single click then car has no power at all until you take battery terminal off and replace. I have tried boosting it off and nothing. Battery is perfect. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have also checked all under hood fuses but not under dash yet because I honestly dont feel like it is a fuse problem.

#2 ·
It is either a bad ground, a bad set of wires from the battery, starter, etc, or a dead cell in the battery.

If you are able to remove and replace the battery cable and regain starting power I would say you need to start by replacing the battery terminal connectors.

#4 ·
Terminals probably aren't contacting properly. Happens to me occasionally since I pull my battery terminals off when the car sits, so I don't tighten them much when I put them back on. I'd ether tighten them down more, or replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 ·
My first guess since I can't see the terminals is to clean both battery terminals and the insides of the wire terminals.

I had the same situation two weekends ago on my wife's minivan. After cleaning everything with soap and water, easy crank. I was surprised at the gunk on those electrical parts.

This week, the brass positive wire terminal on my '02 was highly corroded and green on the inside. A little Brasso got it cranked.

#7 ·
Sounds like the starter

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 ·
I suggest you just get a new battery. The one you have now probably has a very dead cell and shorts out when you go to start the engine. It may show OK on a cherger but under load it is just crap.

Ronnie

#12 · (Edited)
I know this is four years old. I thought I would tell the tale of my 1996 GT the day I took ownership at a local used car lot. This was last Tuesday. After all the paperwork was done (and I got a check for the trade in. It was worth more than the GT) I went to drive it home and all I got was a click. The test drive earlier went without a hitch.

Lee the sales guy called a mechanic and he found an extra, shortened battery cable off the positive terminal touching the oil dipstick. Once removed, the Mustang came back to life, started and top down, I drove home with big old grin plastered on my face.

I might mention that I had a 1985 GT That I just adored and got a bad case of the nostalgias and traded in an HD motorcycle I don't ride anymore. Got the GT and a check!

#13 ·
Sounds like you made out pretty well then! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#15 ·
My old '85 'Mustang

Two tone grey, T-tops, Grey cloth Interior. I bought it new, right off the transporter. Love at first sight. In 15 years I only replaced the tires and wipers. Solid everyday driver but instead of the freeway going home I used Box Canyon Road just for fun.

It was my second HiPer car. I also had a 390 '70 AMX that was a blast to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.