Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Cherry Bomb M-80 Muffler

18K views 72 replies 14 participants last post by  Steve96 
#1 ·
I did a quick YouTube search, but I didn't find exactly what I wanted to see or hear. As the title suggests, I am tossing around the idea of cutting off the factory mufflers on my 02 GT, and clamping, or welding in a pair of these 5" noise makers.

I'm curious to know if any of you have had any experience with the Cherry Bomb M-80s.

#38 ·
All that is is a glasspack. We used to run glasspacks on damn near everything in the mod 80's lol. They sound great (IMO) on the old pushrod muscle cars. I'm not sure how good they would sound on OHC engines. It might sound kind wet or slappy, if you can imagine that lol. Any of the glasspack type should be cheap. I can't remember the name of the ones I had on my 76 Gutlass, but I do remember they weren't painted.

#6 ·
Might give Dynomax Bullet's a consideration. Good sounding mufflers for dirt cheap.
Most of my Cherry Bomb sales are the vortex series muffler. Might be a reason for not knowing the M-80's. then again we already have glasspacks.

Pick your poison.

#7 ·
I have looked at them in the past. Years ago I bought a set for a Silverado 4x4 I had. It may have been the Chevy engine, but I ended up welding the factory mufflers back in.

There was a slight increase in volume, but the tone was weak in my opinion. With that truck I was looking for a deeper tone without a lot of noise. With the Mustang I want to pick up more volume and deepen the exhaust note.

I can't invest a lot into an exhaust at the moment though. That said; I'm looking for something on the lower end of the price spectrum.

#10 ·
To be fair I often used Cherry Bomb back in my high school days and loved them.
However, Cherry Bomb IS out of business. I talked to a Mech that used to sell them and he said the ones sold now are either old on the shelf stock or made by a company in China using the Cherry Bomb name.
I was going to put some on my Pony but I found out that I already had a pair of Thrustmasters that a previous owner had installed. So no need to replace.

#13 ·
Cherry Bomb is still in business. In 2008 an investment group bought the company. They added a few muffler designs, started manufacturing catalytic converters and moved the manufacturing to China from Tennessee.

They don't have the great popularity of today's exhaust systems, but do have a nice product.

#14 ·
Not according to my exhaust supplier. They are out of business again. Which is a shame. Their vortex muffler flows 30% better than a Flowmaster 40 series. My truck picked up a few MPG from it, when they were on it.

Pick your poison.

#15 ·
Every time I hear "cherry bomb" immediately I see a rusted lifted 90s 1500 pickup with Yosemite Sam mudflaps and a dude with a rat mullet in a dirty wife beater, cargo shorts and work boots driving it.

Also if they have moved their manufacturing to China... blah... yeah a TON of stuff is made in China now but when there are so many good exhaust manufacturers still in the US, support them.

#23 ·
I think it'll be alright with the stock mid-pipe. Then again it depends on how you drive. Might consider the Bullet's though. Big difference between a truck pushrod and a 2V. So you might like them on your New Edge.

Pick your poison.

#31 ·
Get some Magnapacks welded in. You will be glad you did! Not super pricey either, at least when I got mine.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#33 ·
The toys are going to need to wait for a little while. After putting my new 16 year old driver on the insurance policy...

...money suddenly became scarce. I feel like the insurance company is an extortionost.

#37 ·
The quick and way to mode volume is a catless mid pipe. Even then I am looking at $200 that just found a new home.

I have considered selling or trading my compound bow, arrows, and all accessories for a full exhaust.

#40 ·
My Roush has resonators (Roush Extreme) and I can say it sounds very aggressive. I like the tone better than the stock Roush mufflers it had. Although even with the stock exhaust system I get it trumpeting some.

Pick your poison.

#41 ·
At the moment all I can do is dream and look at the options. If it isn't a necessary part, I can't spend the extra $$$.

Several family issues have popped up on top of the addition of adding my daughter to my insurance policy.

My dad was diagnosed with cirrhosis 4 years ago. Now he has developed cancer in his lower spine and hips. My mom has one kidney and that one keeps failing. Needless to say, I have been trying to help my parents.

My wife is taking care of her grandparents. Her grandfather has dementia that began after a mild stroke, and her grandmother is in very poor health.

Needless to say, but unless I locate an exhaust for dirt cheap, or have one donated to me, I will have to wait.

Being a responsible adult is no fun at times.

Hopefully I didn't kill this thread with my whining. You guys are giving me great ideas, and keeping my mind distracted while I dream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.