Mustang Evolution Forum banner

More suspension travel out of nowhere, help.

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  wawanesa5speed 
#1 ·
Hey guys. So i was driving the other day when i start to hear something banging against my car. I stop and it turns out to be rubber cut off my tire by hitting the fender.

I try pull away thinking i hit a big bump or something and when i go over a small bump to get on the highway again my rear tires slam into my fenders and jam.

I got the car unstuck and towed it home but now even the smallest bump or uneven surface causes the rear wheels to hit the car. Its like my suspension travel doubled and the wheels have no stopping point.

I havent had the chance to tear into it yet but with a visual inspection everything checks out. My first thought was a bent spring or shocks but everything looks good so far. Ill take apart tonight to try troubleshoot. Any advice on what it could be or what to look for would be a big help!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 ·
Took the wheels off and found nothing out of the ordinary really. The only thing I saw that was weird was an indent in the passenger shock. Could that have caused this? Here's a few pics of the underside plus a pic of what the car looked like when the wheel was stuck.

Attachments

#13 ·
The damping effect of the shock absorbers not only prevents the bouncing, but also limits, to a certain degree, the amount of travel that the suspension will experience under normal driving conditions.
With your wider rear tire/wheel setup, it is likely not bouncing because the quarter panels are now limiting the amount of suspension travel, whereas, if you had the stock 245's they would clear the quarters, and you would be going down the road bouncing like a lowrider.
It is fairly common for the shock absorbers and struts to need replacing immediately following the installation of lowering springs. It looks like yours were in need of replacement regardless of the springs.

Definitely not a bad idea to roll the fenders to provide more clearance, as well.

#18 ·
Fender rolling was easier than I though, although a rubber mallet was equally as usefully​ as the rolling tool itself haha. As for my shocks AM seems to be having difficulties with their Blisten distributor because after a week they hadn't shipped. So i got a fair discount on some koni yellows. Install this Saturday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.