Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Help! What is this?

2K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  Strange Mud 
#1 ·
This is mounted on the back of the center console in my newly aquired 98 Mustang GT and has a wire running from it to the floor going under the carpet. A friend, to whom I gave that expensive but unwanted stereo system removed from the 'stang, opined that it was an amp for those large (and again, unwanted) rear speakers. But, no heat sinks! I spent my career in electronics so I know what an amp's heat sinks look like.

The button above it has no function that I can find. I might pull the console innards and play with wires.

Thoughts, anybody?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Well...

Nitrous?!? Bottle opener and bottle heater and red purge button :D
I tried to open a beer bottle, didn't work. Didn't work on a beer can either.

That feebly lit red LED in the middle tooth(?) will not heat nothing.

I pushed the red button, then checked all the fluids, the air in the tires and the amount of refrigerant all were normal. Maybe it purges the bad thoughts rear seat passengers get from being squeezed in so tight.

I'll keep looking.

#25 · (Edited)
I figured it out!

I removed the inner console, which was easy since the screws were missing and figured out how the thing was attached. Unscrewed it and took into the house. I had to carefully scrape glue off the label and and then I took to the internet to find out what the thing is.

Performance Teknique ICBM-920 IR Audio Transmitter With 2 Wireless Headphones...

Search as I might I could not find any headphones. Bummer. I guess they had something to do with the DVD playing stereo that I gave away and the TV screen on the back of the passenger headrest. Got to keep the kids quiet on road trips.

One mystery solved. Thanks for all your comments. I think I attached a pix from an Amazon entry so further info can be found there.

And the red button? It isn't wired to anything, but I'll leave it there to fill the hole.

Attachments

#28 ·
I had a '70 AMX with no back seat. Never was a problem.

I have a '14 Cadillac sedan with a back seat that never gets used.
I have a '93 GMC Sierra pickup with a back seat that was used once.
We have a '99 Bravada with a back seat that never gets used.
I have a '96 Mustang convertible with a little tiny back seat that never gets used.

That's enough back seats. I will try to find a rear seat delete kit for the Mustang.

Doncha just love the Internet?

#34 ·
ReAR seat delete? She won't allow.

Ever since I bought the Cadillac with asking her first she has watched me like a hawk. One full throttle run with her behind the wheel and she now loves the Caddy. She used to own a '67 440 R/T and a couple of Z28s so she is used to muscle cars.

She'll notice, believe me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.