Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Suspension Noise

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  straybullitt 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i have a 2002 mustang gt. Just this week i did a whole suspension job such as: SR performance shock and strut kit, SR performance lowering springs, and SR performance caster camber plates. Only about a day after it got done, i had this horrible clunk/knock noise come from the front left of the car. It only happens when going over a bumps mainly when the wheel goes down into a bump, mainly potholes/manholes. Its a quick but sudden knock/clunk. After taking it back to the shop we took the whole front sway bar off and it was still doing it. The next day (which was yesterday) we did the front lower control arms and ball joint assembly because after inspection of the old ones, the bushings were shot so we decided to replace them. After that and taking it for a ride it was still doing it, not as easily as it was doing it before but definitely still making that unmistakable sound. It used to be every bump now it's only a few of them, after the control arm replacement. We have done numerous inspections and test drives this week, everything is tight (mostly new), yet nobody still knows what the sound is. Everybody i ask that comes for a ride to hear the noise says it sounds like it's coming from more up top and not down under, so say by the front left strut and camber plate. Yes i know sounds travel but it's most definitely the front left. The next step is most likely a bump steer kit to go at the ends of the tie rods. If anybody has any feedback at all for me, it would very much appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
When you did the ball joints, did you put grease into them until the grease oozed out? I just replaced my ball joints and put 3 pumps (cause I never liked the thought of potentially rupturing the boot) into them and my car still made the popping noise, filled up the joints more and no more noise.

#5 ·
I hate throwing parts at a problem, but a pair of Steeda X2 ball joints could correct the problem.

As has been said, make sure the ball joints are greased well.

Also check the tie rod ends, and also the entire steering assembly.

Don't forget to check the springs. Make sure they are sitting in the control arm perches correctly.

When you change the ride height of a vehicle, you change a lot of geometry that was originally engineered.

#8 ·
Ball joints were greased very well, just changed the tie rod ends with a steeda bump steer kit. Springs are also sitting just perfectly and the steering rack and assembly is all good, any more suggestions would be helpful, i know one guy from american muscle suggested subframe connectors but i don't think that'll do much for me.

#7 ·
i actually didn't because i wanted the extra low, have done pretty much everything there is to do and i'm still getting the same noise and now a different more horrible noise lol. When i'm turning and i hit even a little hole the whole front end just slams like hell, new springs, struts/shocks, control arms and ball joints, bump steer kit, caster camber plates,no front sway bar, and a fresh alignment, yet still noisy, someone help me lol.

#11 ·
Maybe a brake issue? (The pad's clamping springs could maybe be loose). Maybe just double check that everything is tight. You say this only started happening after you did the suspension make-over?

Sent from my LGL56VL using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#13 ·
I'm gonna double check that first thing in the morning. And yeah all of this started happening after the whole suspension job. I've figured out how to make the noise consistently and it is horrible. Sharp turns while accelerating it bangs. (left and right doesn't matter, if i turn sharp left it comes from right front and vise versa). Also if i'm driving at any speed and jerk the wheel quickly to either side it's bangs on the opposite side in which i turn. It's a quick but really really hard bang/slam. I really think the strut may be bottoming out or something to do with camber plates. American muscle may have sent me bad struts, i still don't know. Anymore insight is helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.