Suspension Noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
tkeefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Arlington
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 6
Suspension Noise

Hello everyone, i have a 2002 mustang gt. Just this week i did a whole suspension job such as: SR performance shock and strut kit, SR performance lowering springs, and SR performance caster camber plates. Only about a day after it got done, i had this horrible clunk/knock noise come from the front left of the car. It only happens when going over a bumps mainly when the wheel goes down into a bump, mainly potholes/manholes. Its a quick but sudden knock/clunk. After taking it back to the shop we took the whole front sway bar off and it was still doing it. The next day (which was yesterday) we did the front lower control arms and ball joint assembly because after inspection of the old ones, the bushings were shot so we decided to replace them. After that and taking it for a ride it was still doing it, not as easily as it was doing it before but definitely still making that unmistakable sound. It used to be every bump now it's only a few of them, after the control arm replacement. We have done numerous inspections and test drives this week, everything is tight (mostly new), yet nobody still knows what the sound is. Everybody i ask that comes for a ride to hear the noise says it sounds like it's coming from more up top and not down under, so say by the front left strut and camber plate. Yes i know sounds travel but it's most definitely the front left. The next step is most likely a bump steer kit to go at the ends of the tie rods. If anybody has any feedback at all for me, it would very much appreciated.
tkeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-16-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
jeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: san antonio texas
Posts: 1,069
Did you change the strut bearings on top probably your sound


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:16 AM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
tkeefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Arlington
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 6
yeah strut bearings up top were changed.
tkeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
04beautyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Van
Region: Texas
Posts: 152
When you did the ball joints, did you put grease into them until the grease oozed out? I just replaced my ball joints and put 3 pumps (cause I never liked the thought of potentially rupturing the boot) into them and my car still made the popping noise, filled up the joints more and no more noise.
__________________
Sadie- '04 GT Auto- RMR#4837, 4-Point-SEXY
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
I hate throwing parts at a problem, but a pair of Steeda X2 ball joints could correct the problem.

As has been said, make sure the ball joints are greased well.

Also check the tie rod ends, and also the entire steering assembly.

Don't forget to check the springs. Make sure they are sitting in the control arm perches correctly.

When you change the ride height of a vehicle, you change a lot of geometry that was originally engineered.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Member
 
Smotpoker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: vancouver
Region: California
Posts: 56
silly question, but did you put back the rubber or polly isolators on the springs. will be squeaky if not put back. but you do gain about 1/4 to 1/2 inch drop
Smotpoker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
Registered User
Newbie
 
tkeefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Arlington
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smotpoker15 View Post
silly question, but did you put back the rubber or polly isolators on the springs. will be squeaky if not put back. but you do gain about 1/4 to 1/2 inch drop
i actually didn't because i wanted the extra low, have done pretty much everything there is to do and i'm still getting the same noise and now a different more horrible noise lol. When i'm turning and i hit even a little hole the whole front end just slams like hell, new springs, struts/shocks, control arms and ball joints, bump steer kit, caster camber plates,no front sway bar, and a fresh alignment, yet still noisy, someone help me lol.
tkeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:45 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
tkeefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Arlington
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I hate throwing parts at a problem, but a pair of Steeda X2 ball joints could correct the problem.

As has been said, make sure the ball joints are greased well.

Also check the tie rod ends, and also the entire steering assembly.

Don't forget to check the springs. Make sure they are sitting in the control arm perches correctly.

When you change the ride height of a vehicle, you change a lot of geometry that was originally engineered.
Ball joints were greased very well, just changed the tie rod ends with a steeda bump steer kit. Springs are also sitting just perfectly and the steering rack and assembly is all good, any more suggestions would be helpful, i know one guy from american muscle suggested subframe connectors but i don't think that'll do much for me.
tkeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
Registered User
Newbie
 
tkeefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Arlington
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04beautyGT View Post
When you did the ball joints, did you put grease into them until the grease oozed out? I just replaced my ball joints and put 3 pumps (cause I never liked the thought of potentially rupturing the boot) into them and my car still made the popping noise, filled up the joints more and no more noise.
Yeah put it in till it oozed out just like you said, still getting noise though.
tkeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeefe View Post
Ball joints were greased very well, just changed the tie rod ends with a steeda bump steer kit. Springs are also sitting just perfectly and the steering rack and assembly is all good, any more suggestions would be helpful, i know one guy from american muscle suggested subframe connectors but i don't think that'll do much for me.
A strut tower brace and sub frame connectors will stiffen things, but it is doubtful that it will stop the noise.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Can you post a video of the noise?
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
04beautyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Van
Region: Texas
Posts: 152
Maybe a brake issue? (The pad's clamping springs could maybe be loose). Maybe just double check that everything is tight. You say this only started happening after you did the suspension make-over?

Sent from my LGL56VL using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
Sadie- '04 GT Auto- RMR#4837, 4-Point-SEXY
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:57 AM   #12
Member
 
Smotpoker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: vancouver
Region: California
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeefe View Post
i actually didn't because i wanted the extra low, have done pretty much everything there is to do and i'm still getting the same noise and now a different more horrible noise lol. When i'm turning and i hit even a little hole the whole front end just slams like hell, new springs, struts/shocks, control arms and ball joints, bump steer kit, caster camber plates,no front sway bar, and a fresh alignment, yet still noisy, someone help me lol.
imho whatver was breaking broke if a new noise is now happening.. get under car with pry bar and start searching... check motor and tranny mounts.. check all clamping points.. look for fresh metal on metal...

i was a kid and had a thunderbird s/c
i neglected the lose banging of a fault motoe mount..well my lazyness snapped ny mount which pinched my power steering line fried my pump cut the line and made a 2 day repair of a 3 hour one

subframe connectors might help with rigid squeeks but not clunking.
Smotpoker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:34 AM   #13
Registered User
Newbie
 
tkeefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Arlington
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04beautyGT View Post
Maybe a brake issue? (The pad's clamping springs could maybe be loose). Maybe just double check that everything is tight. You say this only started happening after you did the suspension make-over?

Sent from my LGL56VL using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm gonna double check that first thing in the morning. And yeah all of this started happening after the whole suspension job. I've figured out how to make the noise consistently and it is horrible. Sharp turns while accelerating it bangs. (left and right doesn't matter, if i turn sharp left it comes from right front and vise versa). Also if i'm driving at any speed and jerk the wheel quickly to either side it's bangs on the opposite side in which i turn. It's a quick but really really hard bang/slam. I really think the strut may be bottoming out or something to do with camber plates. American muscle may have sent me bad struts, i still don't know. Anymore insight is helpful.
tkeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,406
I've heard people complain about some of the aftermarket caster/camber plates being a bit noisy. I can't recall if SR was one of the offenders though.
This is one of the reasons why companies like Maximum Motorsports come so highly recommended.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noise after new suspension derf666 1979-1995 Mustang GT 7 05-16-2014 01:25 PM
Front suspension noise gbump 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 5 10-18-2013 10:09 AM
rear suspension noise jazzyfizzle 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 9 01-11-2013 10:32 AM
Suspension noise - help me drizzo Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 10-03-2012 03:42 PM
Suspension noise help jamin22786 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 3 05-20-2012 03:26 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:23 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.