Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Timing job a bit pricey.....

2K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  Revvv 
#1 ·
So, I've got an occasional clicking sound on start up sometimes, sometimes lasts awhile, sometimes goes away quickly, sometimes doesn't do it at all...one of my timing chain guides is loose/broke or something we have determined. Had my daughters BF, who is a Ford service tech, look into the cost of replacing the guides, chains, tensioners, etc since they would have it all apart anyway.....

Parts alone: $705.50
Labor: 6 hours @$100 per hour....

Aint happenin...:nonono:

#3 ·
The last person I knew to have that job done spent a little over $1400. There is a lot of labor involved, as you already know. However, I believe you have the ability to do the job.

You will end up removing everything from the radiator to the accessories on the timing cover, block, etc, but after that the job is fairly easy.

I would make sure the tapping is indeed a timing related issue. Because the noise goes away, I have to wonder if it may be an issue with a lifter.

#7 ·
Parts alone is $750? Wtf you can buy a whole low mileage PI engine for less... Either get on the FB groups or forum classifieds and get someone to sell you a set of low mileage timing stuff or go to a JY and grab a whole engine. Grab what you need and part out the rest to make your money back. Then DIY it for the price of some gaskets and a day of work. Or get this guy to do it all on the side which he can probably do way faster than 6 hours and for a lot less $$$

#8 ·
I know all about timing sets and having the 4.6L 2V motor all stripped. Done my motor like 4 times in the last 10k miles.

But that also involved a aftermarket cam swap that went south in a hurry. Ended up replacing both cylinder heads and the whole timing set.

#10 ·
The timing kit alone (chains, tensioners, guides, gears) is close to $500. Then add all the gaskets, and other "consumables", it adds up quick. Yes, I could get a junk yard motor for way cheaper, but agree with Revv that you don't really know what you are getting. The pull a parts around me only have v6 cars on the lots. I know, I know, excuses, excuses, but honestly, I don't have the time or the gumption to tear into a perfectly good engine aside from a little noise every now and then. When it goes, I'll upgrade....

#11 ·
JYs around here have a metric assload of Vic/Marquis/Towncar engines. Very populated here tho.

#23 ·
Expense is not an issue if you don't mind used parts. Lots of low mileage stuff out there. Timing is easy with the degree services out there. Not on 4v but 2v yeah.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#28 ·
I haven't done a timing job on the Mustang, but I have performed the task on a Dodge 4.7 and a Hemi.

It is a time consuming job, but not hard in my opinion. Go slow, follow directions, and use a torque wrench upon assembly.

#31 ·
I'm a Pro at taking my time on a project (to get a first-time GO!). I'd hate to disassemble so much, change parts, reassemble and find I messed up something. This can't be any more difficult than changing an axle and some of those diff components. Maybe, I'll paint the valve cover, too. Anyway, I'll be OK until the Summer.

#33 ·
Heh, I paid $550 for a set of Diamonds brand new in box. .020 over.

As far as engines. The first 2V I had was out of a 2005 Marquis and had 38k miles. $525. The Continental 4V was $550 plus the Mach intake was $250 and the adapter was $75. Get on car-part.com and look up the engine prices around you, any 2Vs should be out of an 04-10 Panther car or if you want the WAP blocked aluminum ones you look in 02-05 Exploders but those are way way more expensive and almost all have super high miles.

#35 ·
Can't go wrong with Diamond. Or Manley for that matter. But couldn't pass up the deal on these. Not sure if I'll do the build or not but I'll be able to sell them if not. Benefit of having an APO address, I can ship anywhere in the lower 48 for only a few bucks more than if I was living in NJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.