Mustang Evolution Forum banner

New Antenna

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  alex10staley 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting a shorter antenna, would you guys recommend 8 or 14 inch

#2 ·
On my '09, I bought a junk yard antenna, cut if off at 15", scuffed it up with a 3M pad, painted it black, and stuck a plug from a vacuum (carburetor) kit on the tip. I only made it 15" because that seemed to look good at the time. A friend of mine saw this and cut his at 14". I get good radio reception where I live and work, and I didn't loose and radio quality.
Get a junk yard antenna, cut it at 14", see how it works.
If good, cut it again at 8". If good, great! If not, cut your original antenna at 14".
I think my junk yard antenna was $5.
Oh yeah, I cut it with a small bolt cutters. Antennas are a bit tough.

#4 ·
Yep. You are very likely to get poor reception, especially at 8".
An inexpensive test is with the cheap junk yard antenna.

#5 ·
Mines a 6", works fine, no problem of any kind. Got in done at Mustang Spealties, receipt doesn't say Brand, might be from Steeda, part #1750-06.

#6 ·
Giggity...

#8 ·
Mine came with an 8" and I get good reception

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 ·
Lol I was not aware that ppl still put up with terrestrial radio... Freaking trash programming, commercials and moron jockeys who try way too hard. Give me my Google Play/Youtube Red subscription and unlimited music for $10/mo.

#13 ·
I have an 8" shorty. It works fine in a populated area with good radio coverage. When I go out for a long drive, or take the Mustang on a trip I reach in the trunk and put the stock antenna back on.

I enjoy my free, paid by ads, radio.

#15 ·
Great idea, keeping both antennas.
I gave my long original one away, and it too was cut, scuffed up, and painted.

#17 ·
I haven't really Tested the one I have on a long road trip, I wonder how it will react.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.