Trying New Rims and Tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Trying New Rims and Tires

Have anyone tried to place a 15-17 rim on a new edge mustang yet. I have a friend with a '17 GT and he has offered his old rims and tires. The front are 19 x 8.5 which should be fine, I think on the car. But not sure the offset and the spacing in the rear for a 19 x 10 inch rim in the back. He currently has 285's on it right now. Does anyone know if they fit and what is required to make them fit?
Thanks in advance
alex10staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That s a good question. I ve seen some good deals on craig's for newer style wheels, I m also wondering

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Newer style rims looks good so since they are free, I just need to find out what it takes to get them to work on my car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The offset and backspacing is completely different between the New Edge and the 2017 model cars.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I knew that, just didn't know if I could get it to work
Old 10-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Region: Texas
idk why they wouldn't bolt right up but they may rub being that much bigger. if theyre free just take yours off and bolt the new ones up and try
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Please Help!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
LOL
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not in the same town as the guy as I am in college and my car is on jacks because of my suspension but was wanting to look and try to find out before I got back to town and maybe buy the spacers already and see how they really look.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You are just all over the place with that car...Focus on one thing at a time. You started at a supercharger, then plastidip, now at wheels and your car is still on jack stands needing suspension work....you're spreading yourself too thin...
Old 10-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are just all over the place with that car...Focus on one thing at a time. You started at a supercharger, then plastidip, now at wheels and your car is still on jack stands needing suspension work....you're spreading yourself too thin...
You were a kid once. I can remember being unstoppable.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
You were a kid once. I can remember being unstoppable.
I'm still a kid....but I know my limitations....
Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm still a kid....but I know my limitations....
I had to learn a new limitation last year. I cannot jump to intercept a football, downhill, in cowboy boots.

I landed on the ball and dislocated a rib from my sternum. A year later, it still hurts.

If I had done this at 20 I would have dusted myself off and been good for another game. At 40 it freakin hurts a year later. Lol
Old 10-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well when the new ball joints come in and I'm back home then I'll be done with that. Just wanted ideas for plasti dip. And my friend offered me his wheels if I can find out if they can fit.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #15

Region: Arizona
I have a 2012 that I bought off of a 2-year lease. It came with 19/8.5 American Muscle wheels on front with 255/40/19 tires, and the rear has 19/10 wheels with 285/35/19 tires. Looks great and there are no issues (except can't rotate tires).

Don't know if this info is applicable to the 2017 models.
kipschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have bought(unknowingly) two cars with spacers, first thing I did was pull off the rims and put them on Craigslist. Just me but I prefer function over form. Might still have them somewhere if you want them. Just lucky I guess but I have always found the proper fitting wheels that I like. My latest DD actually needed spacers I found out the hard way. I replaced the front pads on my ZX2 and the wheels would not rotate, OP put on the aftermarket wheels with the pads worn enough to clearance the wheels.
Free nice wheels are sure tempting though.
Neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I am looking for bolt on 1 inch spacers for the rear and still looking for the proper spacing that I will need to get the front to properly fit. Yeah, free wheels are super tempting, which is why I am trying to get this to work.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had to learn a new limitation last year. I cannot jump to intercept a football, downhill, in cowboy boots.

I landed on the ball and dislocated a rib from my sternum. A year later, it still hurts.

If I had done this at 20 I would have dusted myself off and been good for another game. At 40 it freakin hurts a year later. Lol
Ouch sounds painful! At least you can still wear them. An injury of my right foot ankle in my youth has reared its ugly head and now no more cowboy boots. No other shoe like'em! Miss them!
Neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex10staley View Post
I am looking for bolt on 1 inch spacers for the rear and still looking for the proper spacing that I will need to get the front to properly fit. Yeah, free wheels are super tempting, which is why I am trying to get this to work.
Before adding spacers, take the time to read about the many spacer failures. There are enough to keep me away from the idea.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuron View Post
Ouch sounds painful! At least you can still wear them. An injury of my right foot ankle in my youth has reared its ugly head and now no more cowboy boots. No other shoe like'em! Miss them!
I have several pair of boots. I prefer boots over anything else. If I'm not wearing boots, I have flip flops on.

The boots actually relieve my ankles.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Before adding spacers, take the time to read about the many spacer failures. There are enough to keep me away from the idea.
only cheap spacers. get billet hub centric ones for our car and they're fine. i have 60+ passes on mine
Smotpoker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I have a set of 1" spacers on the IRS. Will see how it does when I run it. They are CJ Pony Parts aluminum hubcentric ones and I have extended studs.

As for actual shoes... I wear combat boots all the time (military). I wear comfy *** beat to hell converse shoes, sneakers or memory gel adidas sandals in my off time lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have 1" spacers on the back of my sn95. They will be coming off after all my parts go on though. Don't trust them behind any power

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I have 1" spacers on the back of my sn95. They will be coming off after all my parts go on though. Don't trust them behind any power

and why is that? hub centric spacers dont take any weight on the studs them selves. and if its not a casted piece whats the issue
Old 10-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smotpoker15 View Post
and why is that? hub centric spacers dont take any weight on the studs them selves. and if its not a casted piece whats the issue
something that puts some power down and hooks, then you will see.

I also suggest removing the studs that come with the spacers and replacing them with some ARP studs. They will make anything you want.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #26

Quote:

I also suggest removing the studs that come with the spacers and replacing them with some ARP studs. They will make anything you want.

lol im not sure you understand the physics behind a hub centric spacer. with all do respect. the weight and physical stress from rotating mass is on the hub not studs. all the studs are doing is keeping the wheel tight to the spacer. albeit there are cheap spacers that do not work this way and do have a better chance of failing.

as well billet means made from a solid block, not casted, you would undoubtedly affect the integrity of the design if you changed studs.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #27

Quote:

as far as running i hav 60 + 12 second passes on thr 1/4 mile with no signs of stress present anywhere
Old 10-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol im not sure you understand the physics behind a hub centric spacer. with all do respect. the weight and physical stress from rotating mass is on the hub not studs. all the studs are doing is keeping the wheel tight to the spacer. albeit there are cheap spacers that do not work this way and do have a better chance of failing.

as well billet means made from a solid block, not casted, you would undoubtedly affect the integrity of the design if you changed studs.
Build these cars on a daily basis. As well as trucks ect. Put some power to the ground and see what happens. I do not trust them on anything other than a car or truck that litteraly cruises around

But anyways. Like I said I do not trust them. And at the same time I do not like putting them on customers cars or trucks. Reason why a separate waiver is signed for them.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Build these cars on a daily basis. As well as trucks ect. Put some power to the ground and see what happens. I do not trust them on anything other than a car or truck that litteraly cruises around

But anyways. Like I said I do not trust them. And at the same time I do not like putting them on customers cars or trucks. Reason why a separate waiver is signed for them.
explain to me what you think will happen if "more power to the ground " is added. i am curiois to see what you believe.

fyi NHRA allow "hub centric " or " lug centric " spacers to be installed. so csrs with excess 1000hp run these.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
explain to me what you think will happen if "more power to the ground " is added. i am curiois to see what you believe.

fyi NHRA allow "hub centric " or " lug centric " spacers to be installed. so csrs with excess 1000hp run these.
Not going to argue with you bud. I have my reasons and that's all that matters. Good luck with your 12's bud.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Not going to argue with you bud. I have my reasons and that's all that matters. Good luck with your 12's bud.

lol dont get all grouchy now because you cant explain to me why you so strongly believe theyre dangerous. ignorance is a dangerous thing. to so blindly believe something without any evidence to support your statement.

whats scary is you build cars and trucks with no real undetstanding of geometry and physics. give me any reasons of why theyre dangerous other than " i have my reasons"

and i will have fun with my 12 second 2v mustang. as well as my 9 second dart and 10 second ranger , pal !
Old 10-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol dont get all grouchy now because you cant explain to me why you so strongly believe theyre dangerous. ignorance is a dangerous thing. to so blindly believe something without any evidence to support your statement.

whats scary is you build cars and trucks with no real undetstanding of geometry and physics. give me any reasons of why theyre dangerous other than " i have my reasons"

and i will have fun with my 12 second 2v mustang. as well as my 9 second dart and 10 second ranger , pal !
Someone give this guy a hand. 👏👏👏👏

Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Someone give this guy a hand. 👏👏👏👏

someone give this guy a book ! . youre the one whos upset. i was having a discussion, which is what forums are for. and im still waiting to hear why lol.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
someone give this guy a book ! . youre the one whos upset. i was having a discussion, which is what forums are for. and im still waiting to hear why lol.

Deffeintly not upset. Send me that book, maybe you can give me the secret to get a 12 second 2v. Or the others you have. Verry thoughtfull of you to offer me that book.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Deffeintly not upset. Send me that book, maybe you can give me the secret to get a 12 second 2v. Or the others you have. Verry thoughtfull of you to offer me that book.

hey dude i love to learn thats why i was generally asking why you believe and or seen a failure. but i also learn on facts not hear say... i was the kid who doubted and debunked pop rocks and soda in school.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT