Fuel Mileage - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Fuel Mileage

2 weeks ago, I bought a 2002 Mustang GT with the following modifications:
Performance intake
Long Tube Headers
Off road X pipe
SLP Loud mouth exhaust
MagnaFLow Exhaust tips
Lowering springs
High volume oil pump with oil pressure gauge
Bama performance Tuner/tune running 95 octane tune currently
3.55 Gears
Race Clevite bearings
New rings and seals
Caster camber plates
29lb injectors
Transgo shift kit
Performance racing timing chain

Engine was completely rebuilt by the previous owner who sold the car to the guy I bought it from. He said its basically brand new with 6k miles on it but the dash says 159k. The car sounds beautiful. My only concern is fuel. Since it is a 4.6l, its burning a lot of gas. So much gas that when my AC is on, its blowing thru the vents. I filled the tank with premium gas. Head to work which is about 7 mins from my house. Got off of work heading home, the meter went below the fill line. I don't drive it hard because its really fast. It come to a point I don't drive it often because it burns way too much gas. Any suggestions what I can do to improve fuel mileage?
mdollasigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Do you know what mpg you are getting? That number will help a lot.

As for the fuel smell, you have to remember that you do not have any cats on the exhaust. If the car is running rich, you will smell fuel. If you are not leaking gas, pull the plugs and see what they look like.

If the car is dumping a ton of fuel into the cylinders it is possible that the tune needs to be adjusted for the larger injectors. It's hard to tell at the moment though.

If you are smelling gas through the blower vents you may have a fuel leak at the rail.

I will say this; horsepower requires a lot of fuel. If you have a fully built engine, you may be stuck with a car that gets 8mpg on a good day if everything is in proper working order.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I agree with Revvv. You really need to hand calculate the gas mileage to see where you're at compared to a stock vehicle. If I remember correctly, the fuel mileage should be 17/26 city/highway.
Honestly, with the exception of the tune, I don't see anything on your mod list that should affect the fuel mileage very much under normal driving conditions.
Calculate your fuel mileage, and scan for any diagnostic trouble codes.
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Going by the gas gauge will tell you absolutely nothing. Calculate your mileage the correct way.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I see a lot of bolt on's but no real major power adders, 29# for later mods maybe? I agree that the tune would be the first thing looked at if the mileage is indeed off.
Neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:29 AM   #6

12.6 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Do you know what mpg you are getting? That number will help a lot.

As for the fuel smell, you have to remember that you do not have any cats on the exhaust. If the car is running rich, you will smell fuel. If you are not leaking gas, pull the plugs and see what they look like.

If the car is dumping a ton of fuel into the cylinders it is possible that the tune needs to be adjusted for the larger injectors. It's hard to tell at the moment though.

If you are smelling gas through the blower vents you may have a fuel leak at the rail.

I will say this; horsepower requires a lot of fuel. If you have a fully built engine, you may be stuck with a car that gets 8mpg on a good day if everything is in proper working order.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #7

are you smelling fuel vapor or unburnt fuel. it would be more of an exhaust smell to it.... mustang gt' s aren't known for fuel economy although lol. i have never heard anyone say I bought it for the millage.

however saying that running with a ****y a/f ratio can cause some problems. espcially if the motor is fairly fresh...

my order of diagnostic would be;
1: look for obvious leaks , wet fuel around the fuel rails, if not put on properly you will leak. gas tank fuel filler and fuel lines. **** gets old

2. exhaust leaks, but fyi like stated above with any o/r pipe you will smell unburnt gasses. get used to it lol. but still make sure no extra vapors are entering.

3. pull a spark plug. that will tell you a lot.

4...lastly make sure you tune is adjusted to 29lb injectors. i run sct programmer personally but i can see what # injectors i have it set too.

i don't know how knowledgeable you are in regards to tuning but data logging adjusting your self can be done if no dyno shop around you. I've made all my own tunes for on bottle and off with great success.
Smotpoker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #8

I never said I bought it for mileage. I shouldn't be smelling actual gas thru the vents. The guy said the spark plugs and coil packs are brand new but I always change them when I buy a used car (I don't take everyone words). I purchase the MSD coil packs and spark plugs. Once they come in, I will check the rails when changing them. I notice the transmission has a leak as well so I will have a shop look underneath for both the transmission and exhaust.

The seller didn't seem like he knew much about muscle cars because my mechanic was asking him questions he couldn't answer. So all the work the ford technician who rebuild this car and sold it to him, this ding dong probably messed it up with his driving. The seller had the car lowered and I'm thinking if there's a leak to the exhaust, there may be damage to the exhaust.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No. You shouldn't be getting an exhaust smell from the vents. If there is an exhaust leak of some type, it is usually identifiable by a ticking noise that becomes more pronounced as engine speed and load are increased.
For some reason, these cars seem to produce an exhaust smell inside of the cabin. My car does it, particularly when driven hard.
Since this car is new to you, you are going to have to go through and inspect everything to identify any potential problems. All we can do is give you ideas of things to have a look at.
Your fuel mileage does seem way too low. I would first scan for any Diagnostic Trouble Codes... Even if the Check Engine Light is not currently lit. If there are no codes present, I would then look into the tune, and verify that the 29lb injectors have indeed been adjusted for. If the PCM is not aware of those injectors, it will cause the engine to run extremely rich throughout the entire RPM range.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #10

I took it for a drive this morning. Quick run to the bank. I actually heard a difference in the exhaust. I gave the car to my mechanic to check out everything you guys suggest to me. The seller showed me pics and vids of the engine being rebuilt. So it?s all a matter of what has he done to it, driving wise, since it was rebuilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
No. You shouldn't be getting an exhaust smell from the vents. If there is an exhaust leak of some type, it is usually identifiable by a ticking noise that becomes more pronounced as engine speed and load are increased.
For some reason, these cars seem to produce an exhaust smell inside of the cabin. My car does it, particularly when driven hard.
Since this car is new to you, you are going to have to go through and inspect everything to identify any potential problems. All we can do is give you ideas of things to have a look at.
Your fuel mileage does seem way too low. I would first scan for any Diagnostic Trouble Codes... Even if the Check Engine Light is not currently lit. If there are no codes present, I would then look into the tune, and verify that the 29lb injectors have indeed been adjusted for. If the PCM is not aware of those injectors, it will cause the engine to run extremely rich throughout the entire RPM range.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #11

although you may have an exhaust leak it wouldn't amount to that terrible of mpg. just bring it to a muffler shop and have them listen and look for leaks.

as far as your mpg problem id bet it's a tuning issue. you would see obvious signs of fuel leakage.. either put back stock injectors or tune for appropriate injectors.
Smotpoker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If you smell raw unburned gas definitely look long and hard for a fuel system leak! You definitely do not what that to continue!
tman1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:46 PM   #13

I took it to a muffler shop on Monday and they welded the exhaust. I drove the car today and notice slight improvement in the gas mileage. Its on 1/4 tank of gas. Drove it about 25 mins, 10 miles from my house to my brother house. The meter never moved. Drove to Walmart to buy some oil, came home. The meter moved about an inch. What I did notice there's a leak in the injectors. The seller lied about the injectors being brand new and they are rusted. So I'll do a full tune up.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If your injectors are leaking, you should stop driving the car and fix them immediately.
The injectors themselves likely don't need to be replaced, they all get rusty on the outside eventually. The O-rings however, can cause leaks . You can purchase just the O-rings kit, and it is a relatively simple job to replace them. I use a little bit of grease on the O-rings to lubricate them prior to installation. It helps them to slide onto the injectors and into the fuel rail easier.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #15

Oh wow, thanks. I noticed a few things wrong with the car that he said in the ad it?s new. So i just want to be on the safe side. But I?ll go ahead and buy the kit instead. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
If your injectors are leaking, you should stop driving the car and fix them immediately.
The injectors themselves likely don't need to be replaced, they all get rusty on the outside eventually. The O-rings however, can cause leaks . You can purchase just the O-rings kit, and it is a relatively simple job to replace them. I use a little bit of grease on the O-rings to lubricate them prior to installation. It helps them to slide onto the injectors and into the fuel rail easier.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT