Tuning - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Tuning

I am new to tuning and need some help getting my car back to normal. I left it in the hands of my mechanic and idk what he did to it. The previous owner said it has 29lb injectors but after googling the injectors name model number, they are stock 19lb. The car shakes when I speed up and not as loud as it was (there?s no rev or spark). It never done that prior to tuning. Idk the specs of the car because the guy who sold it to me did not do the modifications. It was the previous owner before him. He stated 3.55 gears so idk what that means and if it has anything to do with tuning
mdollasigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #2

The car suppose to be a street legal drag racing car. But now it drives like its giving up on life. Please I?d like to tune my car back to how it was when I bought it
Old 11-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Ask the mechanic what was done that has things going in the wrong direction. You should not have a car worse now than it was when taken to the shop.

You will likely need everything flashed back to OEM specs so you can start over.

It is beginning to sound like everything except the exhaust is factory.
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #4

These are the mods to the car, from what the owner stated:
K&N Performance intake
Long Tube Headers
Off road X pipe
SLP Loud mouth exhaust
MagnaFLow Exhaust tips
Lowering springs
High volume oil pump with oil pressure gauge
Bama performance Tuner/tune running 95 octane tune currently
3.55 Gears
Race Clevite bearings
New rings and seals
Caster camber plates
29lb injectors
Transgo shift kit
Performance racing timing chain

When I plug in the bama performance computer, it?s not running 95. It?s running 93. Matter of fact, 95 is not listed to choose. How do I go about resetting to oem? I bought new 30lbs injectors and MSD ignition coils to install and I don?t want to mess anything up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Ask the mechanic what was done that has things going in the wrong direction. You should not have a car worse now than it was when taken to the shop.

You will likely need everything flashed back to OEM specs so you can start over.

It is beginning to sound like everything except the exhaust is factory.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

There should be an option to return to factory.

You will not get a 95 octane tune from AM / Bama. 93 is the highest they will go via email.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

In my opinion, the Bama tune is possibly a part of the issue. Add in 19lbs injectors with a tune that is compensating for 29lbs. That will cause a very rich engine that will more than likely flood everything and kill plugs.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You won't mess anything up installing the coils, but you will need a tune to compensate for the massive injectors. With the modifications listed, the factory injectors will do fine until everything is running right.

Then talk to Steeda or VMP about the modifications and tune. They should be able to get you running correctly again.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
The Hardest part for mechs, is to figure out what stuff people have done to a car, then try and fix. In Pompano, FL. there is a shop: Mustang Specialties Mustang Specialties - Home.
They do excellent work, I've always trusted Tim and his crew.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Also, welcome aboard. I'm down south in Cutler Bay.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Take Kato's recommendation... It sounds like your mechanic is not familiar with the workings of the Mustang.
And just return those 30lb injectors. They are too big for a Naturally Aspirated engine, and too small if you ever decided to add a supercharger or turbo charger. For a highly modified NA engine, 24lb injectors are the ideal size. Your engine is a long ways from being highly modified. The 19lb injectors will work fine.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
The Hardest part for mechs, is to figure out what stuff people have done to a car, then try and fix. In Pompano, FL. there is a shop: Mustang Specialties Mustang Specialties - Home.
They do excellent work, I've always trusted Tim and his crew.
Great advice. I mentioned Steeda because they are also based out of Florida.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Gurantee the 29lb injectors is a typo. They are 19s, there are no 29lb injectors. There are 19s, 21s, 24s, 30s, 36s etc... And this is not a "street legal drag racing car", this is a typical bolt on Mustang. And tbth it's not street legal with an offroad pipe either...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Gurantee the 29lb injectors is a typo. They are 19s, there are no 29lb injectors. There are 19s, 21s, 24s, 30s, 36s etc... And this is not a "street legal drag racing car", this is a typical bolt on Mustang. And tbth it's not street legal with an offroad pipe either...
All true here.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #14

So the previous owner don?t know a thing about cars or whatever the ford technician who rebuilt this car told him, he went along with it. I want to get rid of the bama performance. Will that mess up the ecu if I remove it completely from the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Old 11-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That depends mostly on the Tune. Example: If you reverted the Tune back to stock, which would normally be ok, Unless something stock was changed: for instance GEARS. Going back to Stock might be a problem. But you said it was a Bama Tune not a Custom Tune, or did Bama send a Custom Tune in the Mail? And also, do you have the Tuner itself?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #16

It came with the car when I bought it. But I don?t think the seller tune the car. I wouldn?t know what?s stock and what isn?t. The ignition coils look cheap, the injectors are 19lbs and old. The only thing that?s not stock is the exhaust.

Quote:
That depends mostly on the Tune. Example: If you reverted the Tune back to stock, which normally be ok, Unless something stock was changed: for instance GEARS. Going back to Stock might be a problem. But you said it was a Bama Tune not a Custom Tune, or did Bama send a Custom Tune in the Mail?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

So, you don't have the actual "Tuner" itself or do you?
Old 11-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #18

Yes.

Quote:
So, you don't have the actual "Tuner" itself or do you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10B9CEA6-25BB-4F1A-AE90-70100BB4910B_1510875438753.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	247306  
Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdollasigns View Post
Yes.
Plug it in and follow the directions to reset back to factory.

https://youtu.be/upp1n8YfE7w

The process should be the same.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #20

Region: California
if you have 3.55 gears going to stock tune will change your speedometer reading, as original gears are 3.27. nothing crazy but it wont be right. I'm wondering if you even have 3.55 as i wouldn't see any point for such a small jump for cost.

before all speculation why haven't you plugged the tuner into the obd2 port and start. browsing current settings. see what tune is currently loaded and what settings. the menu is very user friendly and YouTube im sure has a walk through

as long as you follow the steps you can reflash and load tunes as many times as you want , it wont hurt anything.
Smotpoker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smotpoker15 View Post
if you have 3.55 gears going to stock tune will change your speedometer reading, as original gears are 3.27. nothing crazy but it wont be right. I'm wondering if you even have 3.55 as i wouldn't see any point for such a small jump for cost.

before all speculation why haven't you plugged the tuner into the obd2 port and start. browsing current settings. see what tune is currently loaded and what settings. the menu is very user friendly and YouTube im sure has a walk through

as long as you follow the steps you can reflash and load tunes as many times as you want , it wont hurt anything.
Regardless of the speedometer error, I want to know if the car runs like it should with the stock tune.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I asked the place where I got my tune to leave it unlocked, so I could make changes for different sized tires, gear changes, etc. That way, I wouldn't have to request a new tune for every little thing like that. I feel like they should all do this automatically, but you may need to request this. While it's probably free for changes like these, who wants to wait a few days to a week for simple changes I can do myself?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT