Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Rust Considerations When Installing Strut Tower Brace?

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Neuron 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 GT Convertible, and would like to add some strength to the chassis this spring. I will definitely be installing some full-length SFCs, but I would also like to add a strut tower brace. They are relatively inexpensive and I can do the work myself over the winter. However, I am concerned about drilling holes in an area that is as rust prone as the strut towers. Is there any merit to my concerns or am I just being paranoid?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#4 ·
I literally just thought this same question earlier. I bought one and when it was shipped I left it in the package because I've been thinking of a way to make sure the rust won't happen. Like using Fluid Film around the area of the drilled holes with rubber grommets maybe? I haven't spent too much time thinking about it yet.. Just what popped in my head. I'm also most likely being paranoid.

Also I wish there were somewhat more "stylish" braces for the new edge. Somewhat like the ones that have the GT badges like they have for the new models.

#8 ·
I used to race a '90 supercharged LX, (Kenny Bell) and with the added power managed to break the brace where I bolted it to the fire wall. I had used some Rustoliam when I first installed it and the holes never rusted. The car was white so the paint matched good enough... Once I had the brace welded back together I had it Powder Coated white to match , (more or less) the car. It had not rusted during those three years and for the next 13 with the powder coating didn't either. I had the blower on and off quite a few times, to get the blower off and on (I had to remove the brace). During most of the time I owned the car it was my daily driver in all kinds of weather and stored outside under a car cover the last three years I owned it...

#11 ·
It is my understanding that although single strut bars look good, they do next to next to nothing for chassis strengthening. Single strut bars only limit the lateral deflection of the strut towers, but does not prevent longitudinal stresses along the length of the body (when the front half of the car bends when you hit a speed bump, for example). A 3 point or 4 point strut tower brace that connects to the firewall is most useful. But for cosmetics, single strut bars are great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.