Mustang Evolution Forum banner

NO FLOW FLOWMASTERS?

4K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Neuron 
#1 ·
Been looking into new mufflers for the '02 GT AT. I was comparing the chambered mufflers(mostly Flowmaster, but others as well) with the straight thru type(Magnaflow&Dynomax mostly) and thought with the "scavagening of the Flowmaster it would flow on an equal basis with the straight thru type. Boy was I wrong, after reading many articles I noticed there was talk about the chambered restricting flow much worse than the straight thru. Here is one chart I found. Makes wonder why OP would give away that horsepower using Flowmasters, maybe like the tone enough to not care?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have some welded magnapacks, i like the way they sound

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Reactions: KATO
#5 · (Edited)
Kinda what I thought,the right sound is important, still gotta be an improvement over stock system flow regardless. Another thing to consider is that the straight thru's get louder over time while the Flowmasters do not change in sound unless broken inside. Back to the sound clips, gotta get something going over stock.

#7 ·
Absolute flow numbers are great for marketing but are not really relevant, any properly sized performance muffler has the ability to flow more than the engine can produce. This is why you get little or no additional HP over stock.

Your muffler purchase should be based on sound.

#8 ·
You will notice absolutely 0 power difference. Get whatever one sounds best to you.

#11 ·
If you take an honest look at most muffler designs, they are all restrictive to some degree. Depending on muffler placement and tubing size, you may see a horsepower gain, or a loss. Exhaust pulse flow and scavageing is real. Unfortunately most people know very little about air flow or sound waves. The majority of exhaust customers have one thing in mind, and that is sound.

If you are truly looking for performance, and have regulations that call for a muffler, you need to "tune" the exhaust. Heat, cams, crossovers, pipe diameter, bends and their location, etc all need to be considered. What most people forget about is that in a true performance set up, everything is meant for wide open throttle most of the time. Low end torque matters also, and that has to be factored in for maximum launch.

With this bit of info, the exhaust you choose to put on your daily driver, or show car comes down to the sound you like the most.

As for Flowmaster; I cut off my stock mufflers and installed a pair of Super 10s. My fuel mileage around town increased 4 to 5mpg. If you ask me Flowmaster flows pretty good.

#21 ·
Or anything really... if you screw up a 2V exhaust you should just sell it and lease a sedan...

#22 ·
You may not believe it but most OP's tastes change with age(first Mustang; 1967 GT 2+2 top loader 4-bbl. 289 225 HP in 1971)so the actual sound just not loudness is important. I actually like the sound of the stock exhaust(gasp!) just a bit louder would be great since I do like to talk and listen to music on the freeway. Now you guys will probably throw me off this forum for being to old.:eek:

#23 ·
Not at all. I'm saying that basically the 2V sounds good with ANYTHING. I agree that obnoxiously loud doesn't sound good but that's just me. Same goes with the 3V and 4V really. I love the 4V "burble" and get a ****ton of looks with a basic exhaust setup. It also helps that where I live now there literally 2 other New Edges near me that I know of and one is a V6.

#24 ·
Agreed, they do have a good sound all there own and different than the old Fox 5.0's. My 1998 Cobra sounded really good with a well used Magnaflow Catback and bolt ons, especially in the higher RPM's. I'll bet that beast of yours turns a lot of heads over there, is theft a worry for you over there?

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
My exhaust is a "no name" flowmaster setup. Was going to be temporary and still might... just Pypes flow tubes clamped to Flow 40s clamped to stock IRS tailpipes with 4" tips welded on. Sounds so damn good tho I might just leave it. No drone or raspiness with UPR catted X which really surprised me. Stock 4V manifolds+cats+stock tails probably really help. Not a holy **** fast car, just a cruiser that I thrash around the roundabouts here.

Theft is not a worry unless someone steals it out of my driveway and cuts the lock on the steel door to get it out. Otherwise I drive it back and forth to work which is on a military base or during the day in plain sight.

Has an aftermarket alarm combined with PATS=it would have to be literally towed away. You never know tho. Why I have insurance lol.

And back on topic, anyone with a 4.6L should really just get what sounds best to them. And again, it is VERY hard to make one not sound good.

#27 · (Edited)
Installed finally, the sound is spot on for me and actually louder than I expected. Its louder than my Magnaflows were, but sounds similar. Not a good sound if you are a Flowmaster type, but if you were raised on glass packs the sound fits right in. Hard to beat for $180.00 installed.

#28 ·
Ultra Flows are my all time favorite muffler. I had them on my 95 Cobra and was ALWAYS getting compliments and ppl asking what they were because everyone else had Flows with the occasional Magnaflow. They'll get a little louder as they "break in" but not bad. No drone and pretty quiet at idle and half throttle but they REALLY wake up when you stomp on it.

#29 ·
"No drone and pretty quiet at idle and half throttle but they REALLY wake up when you stomp on it."

You are right on there, much louder when you stomp on it. A neighborhood kid said it was better, he could hear the engine now so I guess I got my stamp of approval. Also the cheapest quality system I have ever bought, $160.00 all in installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.