car is squeaking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
car is squeaking

hey guys. lately my 01 gt has been squeaking occasionally while coasting (sometimes more then others) sometimes it's loud sometimes it's a bit quieter and sometimes you don't hear it at all. it's very annoying when I can hear it. it sounds like brakes squeaking but when you press the brakes it goes away so what could it be? front pads and rotors have 2000 miles on then and rear pads and rotors have about 6 or 7000 miles on them so there not old. the car drives and stops just like it always did no differences in the way it drives. what do you guys think? I think it's tied into the brakes but maybe you guys would know if you've ever experienced it? thanks
arena314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You can try hitting the rotors with "disc quiet"? Did you install the anti rattle clips when you did the brakes (or whoever did them). Are the slide pins greased and have the brakes been properly bled?

I'm consistently amazed at the condition of the braking systems on some ppls cars... even if they are "done regularly". My dad calls it the "italian brake job" lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #3

Region: Arizona
I did the rear brakes and a friend of mine who did my clutch threw the front pads and rotors on while he was at it. he said they feel good to him (he's a master tech and builds these cars on the side) I think they feel like they could have more stopping power as my other friends new edges seem to stop better but what would them not being bled properly have to do with them squeaking?
arena314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #4

Region: California
did you bevel your edges of the break pads and grease sliding pins ? two things that cause squeals if skipped... also the type of pad matters too. hawk pads are wicked pads but are noisy as all hell
Smotpoker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
"Master Techs" can skip a lot. If he was just doing a quickie he might not have used the rattle pads or even checked the slide pins. Stopping power also has a lot to do with the pads, condition of the flex lines and the rotors. I know one of the first things I always notice when driving a stock New Edge brake setup (or god forbid a 98-down) that the brakes suck *** compared to the Cobra fronts. Or my Brembos...

If you want to stop well, go find a good used set of PBR Mach/Cobra/Bullitt front calipers, brackets and then get Raybestos rotors from Rockauto (just regular vented) and Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic pads. Install stainless flex lines on all 4 corners. Bleed the brakes with a power bleeder (best $60 you'll ever spend as far as brakes go).

But... if you don't want to do all that and just want it to stop better. Yeah pull it apart, grease the slide pins, inspect everything, put it back together and bleed it. Bleed sequence is back passenger, back driver, front passenger, front driver.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT