Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Motor Oil for 2001 Mustang GT V8 4.6

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  51008 
#1 ·
My fellow Stang lovers please DISREGARD my last thread although 5w-20 is recommended I meant would 10w-30 Synthetic motor oil damage my engine?

#4 ·
Motor Oil For 2001 Mustang GT V8 4.6

Thanks for replying and deleting my other post. Lol.... My Mustang has high mileage, over 177,00. A mechanic told me oils labeled high mileage mask problems. 5w-20 which is recommended is too thin for the amount of mileage.
Just run a thicker oil, hence the 10w-30. I was thinking about Mobil110w-30
Full Synthetic.

#7 ·
That is true. When synthetic first came out, on older and sometimes newer cars they would develop a leak(usually the cork valve cover gaskets/rope rear main seal)but would usually quit after changing back to regular oil( dino oil is a urban legend started by Sinclair Oil during the World's Fair Commercials, it actually comes from ancient plant and animal remains in the ocean). The absolute king of causing leaks(main reason discontinued) was Arco Graphite Oil, weird stuff was black as night in color due to the graphite and was slippery as hell if you spilled it and stained like nothing else.

#10 ·
Motorcraft 5w-30. Done. Anything else is overthinking it unless you have a race engine that legit needs high end oil and then you'll be running 15w-50 or something in a race motor.

Filter is more important. WIX (Napa Gold) if you can find one local or order from Amazon, if not and you get your oil at Wal Mart where its cheapest then just get a Motorcraft filter since they sell them there. Never use a Fram product.

#12 ·
I have used fram filters on all my vehicles for the past 40+ years. Never had an issue with them. Not one single issue. I don't get why people bash them all the time. I just get tired of hearing that I guess. Yes, you can point me to the gazillion "studies" showing them breaking down inside and coming apart, yadda, yadda, yadda. I prefer to use my own experience rather that someone else's study. Whatever filter you decide to use, change it at the recommended intervals. Rant over.

#15 ·
I can point to a ton of studies and examples and I have on this forum. Fram used to be a great brand, the $12-$16 filters are middle of the road. The Orange ones are called the "orange cans of death" not by accident.

Will you ever have an issue with an orange death can? Doubt it. Are you MORE likely to have a filter failure with a Fram? Yes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.