Mustang Evolution Forum banner

FlowMaster or MagnaFlow Muffler?

4K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Westcoast408 
#1 ·
Hello my Stang Lovers, I need your expertise. Replacing the stock muffler's on my 2001 Mustang 4.6 V8. I'm looking for a deep throaty sound. What do my fellow Stang lovers recommend?

#5 ·
Both will sound great. I'd go with Dynomax Ultraflows if I was buying new.

#6 ·
You can get a general idea of the sound from clips on youtube etc, however many factors can effect the sound not the least being the quality of the recording device. I like the straight through designs like the Dynomax Ultraflows and Magnaflow Performance straight thru design but you do have to keep in mind that they will get louder over time. Be prepared for the dreaded(?) drone on the freeway, some are worse than others but if you want it loud so will the drone be.

#9 ·
Flowmasters and Mustangs just go together in my opinion. To get the sound you're looking for you should go with an off road x-pipe and some super 44 mufflers. Good luck man!!! Let us know what you decide.

Ted

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Flowmasters and Mustangs just go together in my opinion. To get the sound you're looking for you should go with an off road x-pipe and some super 44 mufflers. Good luck man!!! Let us know what you decide.

Ted

#15 ·
I started with flowmaster 40's then spintechs.Sounded good but eventually got tired of drone so I got some magnaflows and they sounded good but after a few years they also droned after the insulation blew out.Now I have dynomax super turbos and at first they quiet but after some of the insulation blows out they sound just right.Maybe I'am just getting old.

#16 ·
x pipe will give minuscule top end gain but nothing worth mentioning about with stock rotating assembly . there is a good video on youtube with 2 mustangs same mufflers 1 with an x pipe and 1 with an h pipe

i personally think 2v should stay an h pipe. and 4v users choice since they love to rev. but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#23 ·
The Flows I have on the Steeda are actually the first ones I've ever had where my ears didn't bleed after driving on the highway and they barely drone at all. Really nothing honestly. 4V engine, stock manifolds, catted UPR X pipe, Flowmaster 40s and stock tailpipes with 4" tips welded on. Was going to replace this catback ASAP but it sounds so damn good I might just leave it.

#25 ·
Borla is top of the line but you pay for it. Exhaust sound is just such a personal thing I think you really have to hear it yourself and even then you very likely may change it after installation and driving it a bit. I have found the sound clips online less than useful because they don't employ quality sound equipment and the cars are usually different than mine. I remember hearing a clip (I don't remember the maker)from a built Chevy big block and it sounded fantastic. I then ran across the same muffler set up on a stock Crown Vic and it sounded terrible.
So you are replacing your two chambers now? Those are so LOUD they would give me a headache(probably due to old age though).

#26 ·
I had flowmasters 40 s and now magnapacks welded. I like the magnapacks better

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.