LT's vs Shorty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to black98gtvert
LT's vs Shorty

i was looking at some LT's but heard they were hard to instal. so i was wondering are they and if they are is it just easier to buy shorty's and install those
Mods: MAC CAI,FLOWS 40 series,MSD Wires and Coils,"MM"starter box susp, MAC underdrive pullies, BBK off-road X, Steeda TRI-Ax, 3.73 gears, Sniper Special Forces Tuner, Accufab 75mm TB and Plenum, and a ZEX __ Shot
04 CBR F4i: A Street Machine on roids
black98gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: LT's vs Shorty

Check this link http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t25082/

Longtube headers make the most HP, especially on a naturally aspirated motor. First you have to understand why headers make HP. First off, both shorties and longtubes are designed to provide smooth passageways which the exhaust gases can flow through. They have gentle curves and smooth shapes which provides as little restriction as possible to the exhaust. This is an improvement over cast iron manifolds, which have a rough finish from the casting process, and which usually have tight turns with little regard to smooth flow

this applies only to Longtubes--the diameter and length of the primaries (the tube between the exhaust port and the header collector) are carefully chosen to match the operating RPM range of the engine. Also, all the tubes are made to the same length The idea is that the exhaust gas pulse from one cylinder can be timed (with the correct length of primary) to help the exhaust gas out of another cylinder later in the firing order. This is called scavenging. Scavenging gets rid of the exhaust gas from the cylinder faster, which in turn brings in a fuller, denser, intake charge.

Shorty headers don't scavenge becasue the primaries are too short and are usually not equal length. All shorties can do is smooth out the flow a little bit compared to stock. LT headers do this AND they scavenge. That's why shorties are worth between 3-5 HP, and longtubes can get 15-20 RWHP depending on other mods

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

either way, swapping them on a 4.6 gt is not an easy task. u have 2 choices, lift the engine at least 6 inches high or drop the k member. i rather drop the k member because its not too bad and you will have easy access to the manifolds. considering the work, id go big or go home and get the long tubes.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I did my long tubes without dropping the tranny, it's tight but can be done! Go with the longtubes, either are going to be a PITA to install so get the most bang for your buck!
slostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

^^^ Or do bassani mid lengths :pnoid:
Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

lol, gonna install those sooner than later?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by modular2valve View Post
lol, gonna install those sooner than later?
I think once I can get them cleaned and coated...if jet-hot would get back to me...or the place in lafayette would answer their damn phone...I could see about getting it done soon.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

i know after u install them, we know what car we will be taking everytime we roll out somewhere lol.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Of which, we're taking it this weekend to Chips place...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh i know

did u let him know we were coming out there saturday?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Yeah. He said he'll have the strippers standing by.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

strippers??? this might be an all weekend thing to check this car out. we might actually look at the sn95 i was picking up. apparently it has a clear title and might just fix that one up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT