Little Alternator Removal Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #1

Question Little Alternator Removal Problem

So, the battery light has been coming on in my '03 GT so naturally the first thing I did was have the battery and alternator tested and the alternator came up bad, so that was great to figure out the problem quickly and easily (most importantly, for free!). I went ahead and bought a new alternator and I have it all ready to go, but after I went ahead and removed the belt and had pretty much everything undone and was unbolting, I was on the last bolt (which for me was the bottom right hand one if you are looking at the engine) and I couldn't get to it at all. I was thinking of removing the radiator hose to have better access to it when I realized that even if I could get the bolt out, it would just hit into the back of the crankshaft pulley. There doesn't seem to be a "safe spot" where I can fit the bolt through the crankshaft pulley holes, but I could be wrong. Am I doing something wrong here or do I really need to remove the crankshaft pulley in order to get an alternator bolt off? That just doesn't seem right 2:.

Any suggestions would be great!
Nick388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: Little Alternator Removal Problem

Your alternator shouldnt come anywhere near your harmonic balancer.
You shouldnt have to take the bracket off. You should be able to just unbolt it and pull it out. I had no problems replacing mine.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Are you taking off the right part?

I believe there's an idler pulley close by, but nothing should be in the way.. It should be top center of your motor (if you have a GT) with a bracket going to the top, and two smaller bolts below it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Your alt should be right on top of the motor

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #5

I took pictures and I'm in the process of emailing them to myself so I can get them on the web here. Yes, it's on the top, so I must be getting what I think is the crankshaft pulley confused with something else..? I'm not very mechanically inclined when it comes to the parts and stuff, but there's definitely something in the way. I will get the pictures up as soon as I get them in my email.

The thing that concerns me is that I have an '03 Steeda GT so I'm not sure if something was done on Steeda's end with underdrive or overdrive pullies at all (I'm the 3rd owner) and the size is conflicting with me getting this bolt out.

Edit: Here are the pictures

On this close up, please note the shiny circular part is the bolt cover and it was taken straight on so you can see it will hit right into whatever pulley that is.

Yes, I'm going to change my belt soon, too >.>

Also, the bolts are not stripped or cracked, they're shiny bolt covers over the bolts (incase it's hard to tell from the pictures).

I wouldn't recommend maximizing these, the quality is terrible on my cellphone.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Take the water pump pulley off its those 4 bolts and pop the pulley off. Then the bolt should be easier to get to.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
Take the water pump pulley off its those 4 bolts and pop the pulley off. Then the bolt should be easier to get to.
Ah, so that's the water pump right there that's blocking it? Sorry.. Okay, then, if you don't mind my asking, since I need to do that as well, is there anything difficult involved with that? Is it just four bolts, it pops off, I do what I need to do, put it back on and bolt it back up? No tricks or anything special? Also, about how tight would I need to make it?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

You should be able to get it out with a bit of finesse.. take all the other items holding the alternator on out.. then start loosening that bolt with an open end wrench, once it's out a decent amount, you should be able to move it around a bit, get some wiggle room going..

never had a problem replacing an alternator on these, never had to take off any other pulleys.. unless you've got an underdrive pulley setup?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT